Help with custom build!

mmayberry

Hello Everyone.

I am in the process of ordering/finding a bottom metal piece for a custom build on a Stiller TAC-338. I am building a 338 Norma (Left Hand) on a McMillan Rem. Hunter stock w/ an oversized lug. I was going to go with the Orbingorf bottom metal and a "Canoe style" floor plate (from PT&G) to gain a little more area. I went to order and they do not have it any more, hence my need for help.

What bottom metal will work for this build? I don't want to go to a DBM that has a release lever that hangs down and a mag that also hangs down and catches on things........

McMillan says the stock is going to the bench next month and I need to figure something out.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Matt

Most tend to go with a DBM due to the overall 3.68" COL of the 338 Norma Mag (same as 338 Lapua). The Norma does have a shorter case, so if you can seat the bullet a little deeper, I would think the std. Rem 700 LA bottom metal would work, provided you get the box, spring & follower used on the 338 Lapua police model. That set-up should allow you to get two in the magazine.

Seekins Precision makes a DBM that should work well for you. The magazine release is not a lever that sticks out, but rather a button on the side by the trigger guard - kind of like the AR-15/M4. He also sells a three round magazine, which hangs down just a little.

Another alternative: just have the smith glue the follower to the bottom of the receiver and make it a single shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.