Need help on a custom build

Porter

Hey everyone,
I have an old Remington 700 243 that I am thinking about using as my first gun to do a custom build on. This will be a drawn out project since I have no experience and will be crawling my way through this. lol
The truth is, I don't know where to start. I want to change the barrel, stock and trigger. What tools will I need? My goal is to build a .5 MOA shooter out of it. You guys know of any books or DVDs that could help me with this? I need some help getting started in the right direction.
Thanks for all your time and help.
Porter gun)

Will you be doing the build yourself? Unless you are a machinest the re-barreling should be done by a gunsmith. The stockwork and the trigger replacement can be done by you if you are handy with tools.

MidwayUSA has a online Knowledge center for the do-it-yourself gunsmith, and is the best place I know to get you going in the right direction.

The Cool thing about a Remington 700 action is that it is so easily accurized and when everything is done correctly, they are capable of extreme accuracy.

Hope this helps

Dan

you don't say what caliber. have a good gunsmith install a krieger barrel ; heaviest contour you can live with and fit into your stock of choice. match good bullet to the correct twist. your big groups wil .5. i have 1 jewel and 4 shlens. i like shilen better and they are les$$. i did not install them.

Thanks for the help. I am planning on going with the 260 Remington. Anyone have any recommendations for this? (Barrels, stocks, triggers)? I am interested in all opinions. Thanks again.
gun)

Since you're going from .243 to .260, you'll need a new barrel. Great -- that will make more difference than anything else you could do to improve accuracy. I've had good luck with both Krieger and Hart, but winning equipment lists often include Broughton, Lilja, Bartlein, Shilen, etc. When you find a good smith you can trust him to choose a barrel maker if you like. Finding the right smith (assuming you're not doing the chambering yourself) is the most important thing to do first. Figure $500-600 for the barrel and chambering/fitting. Pick a barrel twist and freebore optimized for the heaviest bullet you plan to use. Your smith can help with this, too.

You may want to have your action trued when it is barreled. A good truing job will cost around $250. Frankly, if you'd be happy with 0.5MOA you can probably skip the action truing.

I don't mind carrying a 10-pound rifle for hunting, so I usually use H-S Precision stocks and a Rem varmint contour barrel. They're easy to bed yourself, because the aluminum bedding block is already a fairly good fit. If you wait for them to go on sale, or buy someone's take-off, you can often pick one up for under $300.

Of course, you could also pillar bed the stock you have now, if you like the barrel contour in your .243. That would save some cash.

The Rem trigger, properly adjusted, is perfectly fine for a 0.5MOA hunting rifle. If you want to go top shelf and spend a little over $200, the Jewell trigger can't be beat.

In my experience, the three things that matter most for accuracy are bullets, barrel, and bedding (in that order). If you shoot bullets of proven accuracy potential (Berger would be a good place to start) in a good barrel with proper bedding it will be hard to shoot a group bigger than 0.5MOA in good conditions, if you do your part. You'll want a top quality scope, good quality reloading dies, and good brass (you can make .260 from Lapua .243 or .308 brass, which is what I would do).

Check out the 6mmbr.com site -- good info on projects like the one you're considering.

Toby Bradshaw
[email protected]

You have some good advice already, but just don't underestimate the importance of good trigger work. You don't "need" to have a real expensive on put on, but you do need to have your remington at least worked on at a minimum. From factory they are set pretty heavy (from 5-9 pounds) have it reduced to as light as you feel comfortable with. I have mine set at around 2.5 or so because it was the lightest the smith would set a hunting trigger. It has just the slightest amount of creep.

260 remington is an excellent cartidge... lots of barrel life and pretty good selection of high BC bullets.

Wow thanks for all the help! I talked to a gun smith and am in the process of planning out the project with him. Thanks for all the great advice. You all have been a great help.
Daniel

There are gunsmiths and then there are gunsmiths. Your gunsmith should have a reputation for building long range rifles.

Secondly, just as I advised the guy about his mauser, neglecting to check the action over for squareness can waste every penny of money you put into it. I have been down that road. If your current gunsmith did not check it, nor discuss it as a part of the cost, I would be looking at a new gunsmith. Technology has changed a lot over the years and the ability to measure has greatly improved.

Have the action trued and timed, if you want to stay with .243Win go with A 1:8 twist 5C Broughton barrel. Use an aftermarket precision ground recoil lug. Restock in a Mcmillian stock. Pillar bed it, glass in the lug and free float the barrel. You will be ammazed with the improvement in accuracy.

Rustystud

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. I will talk to my gun smith and find out what h knows about tactical rifles. Thanks again for all the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts