Semi Custom Build Caliber Help

scsims

I currently have a full custom .338 Edge, and AR 15 in .223. I also have factory remington 700s in .270 sporter had this gun since I was 16, 22 years now, a .243 VLS with 1200 rounds down the tube and a .308 SPS Varmint with about the same count. I'm planning on working on the .308 first and my plan was to have the action trued and have a smith chamber and install a 26" Bartlein 1-11" SS barrel in .308 and bed it in the Choate stock that it's currently in. Then I was planning to do the .243 in a similar manner next year after the .308 is done, but chamber it in a 6.5 caliber of some sort.

My delima is that in some of my recent readings and some advice I've gotten from others I'm wondering if I should do a 6.5 on both of the semi custom builds. Like a .260 Rem on one and one of the other popular 6.5 chamberings on the other.

What do you all think?

6.5 Grendel is a hell of a caliber, but it often times doesn't get the publicity it should. It stays super-sonic long beyond the .308 and the bullets have incredible ballistic coefficients (BC). A buddy has one and they are a blast to shoot.

I've read good things about the grendel, but was thinking more along the lines should I be without a 30 cal in the safe....... I might miss it.

I am a big advocate of the .308 Win caliber. I believe every shooter should have one in their stable. They are cheap to shoot, easy and can be inexpensive to reload for (they aren't very finicky with many different loads), and the low recoil makes them a dream to shoot all day (if you have a heavy barreled model).

The 6.5 Grendel is an awesome caliber as well. And alot of people underestimated it. Even the US military used and tested several of them as rapid-engagement sniper rifles (AR-10 style rifle with an 18-24" heavy-contoured barrel) to compare it to the .308 Win. AR-10 rifles they were currently using.

I'd ditch the 308 for a 260 build,,,Keep the 243 as a 243 and go with a 8 twist barrel of your choice.

I think I'll go with the .308 and just wait on the 6.5 for the next build. Barrel life is a high priority for me on this build.

Do you all think that a 1-11" twist is sufficient out of a 26" barrel?

1:11 twist should be fine. My 5R has a 24" 11.25" twist and I can stabilize everything from 168's to 210's. I haven't tried the Berger 230 OTM's yet, but want to soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.