• 280 AI

Votes: 21 32.8%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • 300 WSM

Votes: 32 50.0%

• Total voters

Ksduckhntr

I am dropping off an action and stock tomorrow for a new build. This build will be a hunting rifle first. I would like it to be able to be used on elk/caribou on down. But first and foremost it will be a whitetail and antelope rifle. Ammunition is not a consideration as I can handload or buy some even if it costs $60 a box. The build consists of:
Tikka action (I have either -06 bolt face or magnum bolt face)
21" barrel
McMillan game scout
Mountain tactical bottom metal
Stock trigger
Nightforce shv
SAS suppressor
Of the 3 listed calibers above which would you choose and why? Elk/caribou this rifle may only be used once or twice total for that game.

300 WSM, I think you might be limited on mag box on a 280AI with anything heavier than 140.

I'd be doing one of the wsm calibers on the tikka action. 300. Wsm or 270. Wsm personally. Looking at doing a 270. Wsm pushing the 165 and 170's my self

I have both a 7wsm and weatherby. They both shoot the same velocity with handloads. Great cartridge, but buy enough brass to last the barrel before cutting the chamber.

Certainly all three will get it done. The 30 Cal bullet selection is better IMO. Load with a 130 ttsx for a laser beam killing machine for deer-215 Berger for elk. Hard to argue against the versatility and terminal performance of fast moving 30 cals.
For an all purpose bullet-180 accubond is at the top.

Out of curiosity wasn't one of the reasons the 7wsm didnt come to popular due to short neck and some were necking down the 300wsm to 7mm to get longer neck so longer bullets would be used?

Out of curiosity wasn't one of the reasons the 7wsm didnt come to popular due to short neck and some were necking down the 300wsm to 7mm to get longer neck so longer bullets would be used?
Untrue. Winchester was sued by the inventor and dropped the cartridge. The 7-300 was done when 7 brass dried up and it is easier than blowing out the shoulder on the 300 case. Results in a little less capacity.

My first choice for big game would be the 300WSM but since most of your interest is in deer sized game a good compromise would be the 280 ai.

Untrue. Winchester was sued by the inventor and dropped the cartridge. The 7-300 was done when 7 brass dried up and it is easier than blowing out the shoulder on the 300 case. Results in a little less capacity.
Your statement may be correct but the 7 was falling out of favor before any brass dried up. It can still be found and ammo can too. The benchrest crowd prefers necking up 270 or down 300 for the longer neck and less capacity. In a hunting rifle I am not sure it is really worth it but it is easy enough if I were to build a 7 I would go 7-270/7-300wsm.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.