Semi Custom Build Advice

csmith86

I am really toying with the idea of building a semi custom rifle on a Savage action chambered in 338-06. This will be my first shot at this and am curious what you guys recommend for barrels and stocks both.
This will be a sporter style hunting rifle. No muzzle break and fairly traditional style stock.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Clint

Personally i'd stick to point cut barrels. Bartlein, brux, kreiger.. etc. Honestly I would choose one of those three. They rule most competitions. As for a stock the sky is the limit depending on funds and patience. You can pull a traditional B&C off of stockys right now or you could wait 6-8mo for a Mcm or Manners. Between the 2 I'd opt for manners but you cannot go wrong w/ either.

If you do use the savage action then my first go to would be a Criterion barrel, this would be my only exception to my above statement. Get a new lug and nut from NORTHlandshootingsupply.

Edit.. didn't know my north from my south!

Last edited:
+1 on the Criterion Barrel, with a precision nut and recoil lug. If that doesn't suit you a cut rifle barrel is the way to go. I have built 2 Criterions (260 and a 7mm Remage) and both shot around .25 moa with good load development.

+2 on criterion. I got mine through Northland shooters supply with the upgraded barrel nut and recoil lug. Incredibly accurate rifle for what i have into it. Consistet .25-.3 5 shot groups

Thank you all for your suggestions!! I am going to call Criterion and see what they can do for me and go from there.
Edit... They do not list the 338-06 so will they do a special build?

Personally I'd call Jim at northland shooters supply. He is great to talk to and knows the CBI line to a T.

It's hard to go wrong with any of the barrel makers out there right now. I had an ER Shaw 338-06 barrel that would shoot .5 MOA with a 225 partition. I had a Benchmark 338-06 that would do the same. One cost double the price for the same results. I have plenty of similar examples with other barrels as well. Just pick the maker you like and go with that one.

I'd figure out what your budget and time line are, then decide which parts to go with. You could build your gun for $5-600 or for $1300 and there's a very good chance that your end result will be pretty much the same either way.

I am really toying with the idea of building a semi custom rifle on a Savage action chambered in 338-06. This will be my first shot at this and am curious what you guys recommend for barrels and stocks both.
This will be a sporter style hunting rifle. No muzzle break and fairly traditional style stock.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Clint

Northland Shooter Supply shows Savage pre-fits available from Shilen with a 338-06 chamber. That appears to be the only Savage pre-fit available in 338-06. If you decide not to go the pre-fit route, I agree with the idea of going with a good cut-rifled barrel such as a Krieger or Bartlein.

Since you do not intend to mount a brake, I believe you would benefit from a bit more gun weight. The Shilen Heavy Sporter contour is the smallest I would consider. If you go with a full custom barrel, a fluted Krieger #5 or a Bartlein 3b is about right. With a custom barrel, the AI version of the 338-06 deserves serious consideration for improved headspace control and greater brass stability. Optimum barrel length for either version of this chambering will be no longer than 24".

I have both a Criterion and Shilen on Savage actions. Both are incredibly accurate. I wish that Criterion had a little more variety in the calibers and twist rates they offer, because I think the value they offer is incredible. Shilen has a large list of chambers and twists they offer, but they are a little more expensive. They also won't flute a barrel and are a bit limited in the contours they offer in prefit barrels

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.