Help with upcoming .277 build

matt_3479

I've always wanted to add a .277 build to the line up. I know they aren't as popular as a 6.5, 7, and 30's but I have pretty much everything already covered. This is more because I want one!

Anyways I'm not one for huge speed demon so I'm thinking maybe the 270/6.5 prc for the purpose of Lapua brass or holding off until more brass options come out in the 7 prc and necking it down. Hoping to run the 170's, and build a real lightweight multipurpose hunting rifle from whitetail to moose. Just because I know it's coming, I already have a 300 Norma, 7 mag so the moose part is generally covered

Specs can change but thoughts are;

- falkor lw7 long action
- carbon barrel (hoping ibi drops there's soon)
- manners lrh
- Hawkins bottom metal
- tt diamond

6.8 western is great for your purpose, but the Winchester brass could be better. 6.5 or 7 SAUM brass can be fire formed into 6.8 Western. I get 2965 FPS with Retumbo and 170 EOL and very good accuracy in my 6.8. The 270 Sherman short is also another great existing option.

If you're wildcatting, then I'd wait and neck down 7 PRC for the highest powder volume. 6.5 PRC or 7 SAUM would be fine also. Kind of up to you on what case capacity you want to go with

Buy yourself, a .270 WSM, in a Tikka T-3, 24" SS, save some Money and enjoy, a very accurate and Deadly,.. Cartridge / Rifle, combo !
A 140 grain, Classic Hunter Berger with 65.7 grains of IMR 7828 trucks along at,.. 3,180 FPS and will "Blow" clear thru, an Elk at 115 yards.
My T-3 Tikka shoots 1.5 inch groups at, the 200 yard Zero ( Sub 3/4 MOA ) and I don't start "Dialing" til' past, 300 yards ( yup,.. a Lazer ).
Shop around and you'll find some, very GOOD, Norma Brass.
A joy to carry at 7 Pounds, 10 Ounces,.. all up.
Put the "Change" into,.. a Great Tag or, the grandkids, College Fund

Last edited:
I've always wanted to add a .277 build to the line up. I know they aren't as popular as a 6.5, 7, and 30's but I have pretty much everything already covered. This is more because I want one!

Anyways I'm not one for huge speed demon so I'm thinking maybe the 270/6.5 prc for the purpose of Lapua brass or holding off until more brass options come out in the 7 prc and necking it down. Hoping to run the 170's, and build a real lightweight multipurpose hunting rifle from whitetail to moose. Just because I know it's coming, I already have a 300 Norma, 7 mag so the moose part is generally covered

- falkor lw7 long action
- manners lrh
- Hawkins bottom metal
- tt diamond
I have an improved 6.5PRC/7mm called the 7S/FC that uses the Lapua brass and will run a 180 past 3000'. All you would have to do is bush the die down to .277 and it would run a 170 Berger well past 3000.

I know you said .277 bullet, but what about a 280AI that shoots 168 Berger bullets? You could make it a light weight rifle and it will not kick to much. Should be good to take down game out to 700 yards.

I have an improved 6.5PRC/7mm called the 7S/FC that uses the Lapua brass and will run a 180 past 3000'. All you would have to do is bush the die down to .277 and it would run a 170 Berger well past 3000.

so 6.5 prc ackley basically, necked up too 7mm then?

I am strongly considering a 6.5prc or improved necked to .277 due to the Lapua brass. I figured it would probably have the 170's at 2950-3050 was my assumption.

The only reason the 7prc necked down is in mind is the hopes better brass(Lapua fingers crossed) would give me the 3000-3050fps mark plus possibly better feeding be a true long action caliber. The brass is what's holding me back

so 6.5 prc ackley basically, necked up too 7mm then?

I am strongly considering a 6.5prc or improved necked to .277 due to the Lapua brass. I figured it would probably have the 170's at 2950-3050 was my assumption.

The only reason the 7prc necked down is in mind is the hopes better brass(Lapua fingers crossed) would give me the 3000-3050fps mark plus possibly better feeding be a true long action caliber. The brass is what's holding me back
Fast twist .270 WIN AI?
My .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G propels the 175 Matrix VLDs at 2993 FPS with H4831SC. I loaded near the 3100 FPS mark, but the group opened up and had pressure signs. Others are reporting ~100 FPS faster with RL-26. Good luck!

My .270 AI with 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G propels the 175 Matrix VLDs at 2993 FPS with H4831SC. I loaded near the 3100 FPS mark, but the group opened up and had pressure signs. Others are reporting ~100 FPS faster with RL-26. Good luck!
I mainly interested in using Lapua brass which is why the 6.5 prc has intrigued me, and hoping Lapua picks up the 7prc as well but that's a gamble.

The 270 ai is definitely a very impressive caliber no doubt about it

- falkor lw7 long action
- manners lrh
- Hawkins bottom metal
- tt diamond
A fast twist .270WSM in your long action will give you what you seek without all the drama or cost of custom dies etc..