Help on a .277 build

matt_3479

after talking to multiple people, and my last post debating back and fourth I am pretty much settled on a 270. Wsm for the build. I have a gentleman looking into a 1:8 twist benchmark barrel for me but need some help on action and mags.

This rifle will be build for primary purpose of a hunting rifle. Might be build a little on the heavy side but it will mainly be for hunting. I'm going back and fourth between defiance deviant tac and bighorn tl3. Going with a long action as I might do a switch barrel and get a 30. Cal mag spun up. Wondering which action might be better for the build? Leaning towards the tl3 as I like the idea of control round feed and floating bolt head for a switch barrel but definately open to the opinions!! Secondly, what is the best way to feed a Wsm on a long action?

If you're going to run a switch barrel long action and plan to both wsm and la mag cases, in my opinion I'd run a detachable mag system, you can have a LA mag modified to feed the wsm cartridge, and a separate mag to run your other la magnum cases. The big horn tl3 is designed to use mags anyways, vs the origin which runs mags or bdl bottom metal.

45AC6E99-6C9F-40BD-A987-29D6996DE24D.jpeg

I'm using this in my 338 Short mag built off long action

Having been down this road a time or two- and since you are wanting a possible LA, have you considered a 270-300 win mag?

I know they have the unfashionable belts, but you will pick up a few HUNDRED feet a second and still have a hunting weight rig. One pass from 300 wm to 270 Wm. I have had one for several years and I think it is just about as much juice as you can get out of a 270 and maintaining effeciencies. Yes a 270-50 BMG will go more, but.....

The 1-8 is a good choice, mine was Pacnor and shoots very well. You may also want to consider a little freebore. The guys with the 270wby seemed to have higher velocities at lower pressures per powder units burned.

While I agree with you regarding the .270 WSM, I also think that you can't go wrong by choosing the .300 WSM as a companion cartridge to the .270 WSM. The F-Class shooters are all over this cartridge for it's performance at 1,000 yards. Set your rifle up for one type of magazine then go shoot.

You don't have to shoot the heaviest bullet for caliber just because it's fashionable. Choose a great bullet and go hunt. In the .270, I'm running the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX and the Berger 150 Gr. VLD Hunter. Both are seated to use the standard 2.925" OAL for my DBM and are very accurate. The .300 WSM seems to like the Berger 180 gr. Elite Hunter.

Personally, after a couple of decades experience, I would opt to use the Defiance action and Bartlein barrels. This is an excellent combination and nearly unbeatable unless you attempt to run a BAT while hunting...:eek:;)

If you're going to run a switch barrel long action and plan to both wsm and la mag cases, in my opinion I'd run a detachable mag system, you can have a LA mag modified to feed the wsm cartridge, and a separate mag to run your other la magnum cases. The big horn tl3 is designed to use mags anyways, vs the origin which runs mags or bdl bottom metal.

Awesome thank you! That definately sounds like the way to go? What is required in modifying a mag to feed a Wsm cartridge? Is it required for a gunsmith to modify it or something I'd be able to do?

Having been down this road a time or two- and since you are wanting a possible LA, have you considered a 270-300 win mag?

I know they have the unfashionable belts, but you will pick up a few HUNDRED feet a second and still have a hunting weight rig. One pass from 300 wm to 270 Wm. I have had one for several years and I think it is just about as much juice as you can get out of a 270 and maintaining effeciencies. Yes a 270-50 BMG will go more, but.....

The 1-8 is a good choice, mine was Pacnor and shoots very well. You may also want to consider a little freebore. The guys with the 270wby seemed to have higher velocities at lower pressures per powder units burned.

Appreciate the advice but definately not interested in going that route. Pretty set on the 270. Wsm

While I agree with you regarding the .270 WSM, I also think that you can't go wrong by choosing the .300 WSM as a companion cartridge to the .270 WSM. The F-Class shooters are all over this cartridge for it's performance at 1,000 yards. Set your rifle up for one type of magazine then go shoot.

You don't have to shoot the heaviest bullet for caliber just because it's fashionable. Choose a great bullet and go hunt. In the .270, I'm running the Barnes 130 gr. TTSX and the Berger 150 Gr. VLD Hunter. Both are seated to use the standard 2.925" OAL for my DBM and are very accurate. The .300 WSM seems to like the Berger 180 gr. Elite Hunter.

Personally, after a couple of decades experience, I would opt to use the Defiance action and Bartlein barrels. This is an excellent combination and nearly unbeatable unless you attempt to run a BAT while hunting...:eek:;)

Thank you, I use to hunt with 300. Wsm and planning on building a 270. Wsm and the 300 Wsm never crossed my mind as a switch barrel caliber lol. Not a bad idea to look into actually.

I'm set on a medium or long action as I want to run the heavies. When looking at the ballistics of a 270. Wsm with the 165 at 3000-3100fps it's pretty sweet! Lowering bullet weight unless they absoulutely don't shoot doesn't interest me.

As far as barrel and action goes I wasn't set on benchmark as I'd prefer bartlein but couldn't find someone to order me one in Canada until today. So I will be looking into that. As far as defiance goes as I am definately intrigued I keep being reminded by multiple smiths about the tolerances being tight making me nervous was a hunting action. The bighorn tl3 seems to be a bit better for it, plus prefits. My smith actually recommends surgeon as well.

Awesome thank you! That definately sounds like the way to go? What is required in modifying a mag to feed a Wsm cartridge? Is it required for a gunsmith to modify it or something I'd be able to do?
You should be able to mod them yourself with a pliars, adjusting the feed lips as necessary, will take some playing around, but shouldn't take too long.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.