Help with scope windage issue

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and new to rifle shooting in general. Most of my life I've been in shotgun only hunting counties here in va. Anyway. My dad got a browning hells canyon in 300wm with talley one piece mounts and a Swarovski z3 scope. I help install the scope, lapped the rings for a good fit, leveled it all up and tryed it out. We where shooting at 25 yards just to get on paper, tryed to adjust to the center of the target before moving to 100 yards. We ran out of windage on the scope at about 1.5 inches to the left of center. Any ideas what I should look at first ? Thinking bur or something on the bottom of the mounts, top of the chamber area or possibly I didnt get the rings lapped correctly? I have the exact same scope on my Remington 700 7mm rem mag ( different mounts ) mounted it the same way and it works perfectly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Did you use a torque wrench when mounting the scope? If so how many Inch Lbs did you tighten the rings on the scope?

I had the same issue with a leupold vx-6. I contacted them and they had me center the reticle. I already did that by counting clicks on the turrets. They told me thats not the proper way to center. They had me go into the bathroom with good lighting and hold the scope up to the mirror and look through it. I did and seen 2 reticles. They told me that meant it wasn't truly centered. They had me turn the turrets until the reticles met and I could only see 1 reticle. I did and that worked great. Not sure if it'll help you but its worth a shot
What does that tell you about Quality Control?

The reason I asked about torque.... looking at the screws they seem.....a little mangled! If you used just an Allen key and tightened them till they Quit...you can put to much pressure on the tube restricting the movement of the reticle. You should have between 22-25 inch pounds on the rings...no more. Base screws on the rings can go tighter..up to 40. I had this happen once early on and after that bought a Fat Wrench. It's not permanent generally...back off the torque on the rings if you didn't use a torque wrench might help

I had the same issue with a Browning before . instead of sending it back to them I put Burris Signature Zee rings on it so that I could use the off set ring inserts . If you take a straight edge and line it up with the screws you may find that it doesn't line up with the center line of the barrel , the back or front screw hole may be out of alignment or the one piece mount may be back wards and just need to be taken off and put on 180 as some of the Browning's have the same screw hole spacing for the front and back . You can measure to see if they are the same spacing .

Looking at the view from the top, it appears the scope is not parallel with the receiver. If that is the case, use adjustable rings such as Leupold and their bases or contact Browning about issue of base screw holes being out of alignment with the receiver and bore.

After looking at the pictures closer I am thinking that you just need to change places with the two mounting base's put the one you have in the front in the back and the one you have in the back in the front .

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and new to rifle shooting in general. Most of my life I've been in shotgun only hunting counties here in va. Anyway. My dad got a browning hells canyon in 300wm with talley one piece mounts and a Swarovski z3 scope. I help install the scope, lapped the rings for a good fit, leveled it all up and tryed it out. We where shooting at 25 yards just to get on paper, tryed to adjust to the center of the target before moving to 100 yards. We ran out of windage on the scope at about 1.5 inches to the left of center. Any ideas what I should look at first ? Thinking bur or something on the bottom of the mounts, top of the chamber area or possibly I didnt get the rings lapped correctly? I have the exact same scope on my Remington 700 7mm rem mag ( different mounts ) mounted it the same way and it works perfectly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Hopefully you can correct the issue with scope and/or ring & base replacement. I had a good friend who had the same issue as you have. He checked the rings & base holes for alignment and they were good. Replaced the scope and still not enough adjustment. He finally figured out that the barrel was warped really bad. He's a good mechanic so he straightened the barrel. It shoots good now & no problems. Apparently the barrel was warped from the factory. this has been many years ago that this happened.

I had the same issue with a leupold vx-6. I contacted them and they had me center the reticle. I already did that by counting clicks on the turrets. They told me thats not the proper way to center. They had me go into the bathroom with good lighting and hold the scope up to the mirror and look through it. I did and seen 2 reticles. They told me that meant it wasn't truly centered. They had me turn the turrets until the reticles met and I could only see 1 reticle. I did and that worked great. Not sure if it'll help you but its worth a shot
Can I ask some specific questions? Did you hold the scope up to the mirror and look through the ocular? or did you reverse it? And did you place the other end up against the mirror or hold the scope in your hand back away from the mirror? I'm curious cause I want to try that out with a couple of my scopes. Thanks in advance.

One last comment.... sorry just trying to help....I'm not sure about the Hell's Canyon....but for a Weatherby Vanguard....the rings face the opposite direction!

Rings look like they are ceracoated. I had the exact problem with ceracoated rings on a hellscanyon McMillan .26 Nosler. I got real aggressive in line boring the scope mounts and it straightened right out.

I had a similar experience. I just used a couple of pieces of aluminium can as shims. Still shoots today

Maybe for the solution guys.....
Are rhe shims for inside the rings...or to adjust the side of the base contact....
Might make it easier to shim the bases over than the scope in the rings....

Never heard that one....obviously seriously technical....
Leopold had that mirror trick in the FAQ's on their site years ago. It works !!! I carry a polished stainless mirror in my hunting/shooting gear for that reason.
Try it, hold a good mirror tight against the front bell.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.