Help with scope windage issue

Rmclennan

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and new to rifle shooting in general. Most of my life I've been in shotgun only hunting counties here in va. Anyway. My dad got a browning hells canyon in 300wm with talley one piece mounts and a Swarovski z3 scope. I help install the scope, lapped the rings for a good fit, leveled it all up and tryed it out. We where shooting at 25 yards just to get on paper, tryed to adjust to the center of the target before moving to 100 yards. We ran out of windage on the scope at about 1.5 inches to the left of center. Any ideas what I should look at first ? Thinking bur or something on the bottom of the mounts, top of the chamber area or possibly I didnt get the rings lapped correctly? I have the exact same scope on my Remington 700 7mm rem mag ( different mounts ) mounted it the same way and it works perfectly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200726_093849.jpg
    20200726_093849.jpg
    995.9 KB · Views: 103
It is a possibility that the receiver machined threads are out of line with the centerline of the bore. If this is not the case loosen the screws on one side of the ring base to adjust the scope in the direction of the poi you want it to move.
Lastly make sure your scope does not have a zero stop keeping you from moving the windage knob more.

I've seen this on s couple rifle before, I cant remember the math but there x amount of shim per m.o.a.
Theres a pretty simple fix use some really light shim stock like tin foil and put on the side that gets your windage closer to the center of the adjustment and bed the scope rings with however much shim stock it takes to get it closer to the center, last rifle I encountered with this it worked perfectly.

Pic of rifle, mounts and scope the way it sits at the moment

Attachments

• 20200726_204651.jpg
    20200726_204651.jpg
    1,000.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 20200726_204631.jpg
    20200726_204631.jpg
    821.6 KB · Views: 284
I agree with 26. The rear looks angled a bit. You could be putting torque in the tube. You said you lapped the rings as well. Did you check to see if the scope tube was sitting in the rings properly before lapping them?

Actually no, I did not check the scope before, I used the pointed bars that are in the kit for lapping the rings and they where slightly off. Lapped them, not alot, and checked again. After the bars looked good. I'm going to pull it all off and check the ring where they mount to the receiver and then recheck my lap job. Thanks for all y'alls tips. It mite take me a day or so to check it but I'll let you know.

Hi everyone, I'm new on here and new to rifle shooting in general. Most of my life I've been in shotgun only hunting counties here in va. Anyway. My dad got a browning hells canyon in 300wm with talley one piece mounts and a Swarovski z3 scope. I help install the scope, lapped the rings for a good fit, leveled it all up and tryed it out. We where shooting at 25 yards just to get on paper, tryed to adjust to the center of the target before moving to 100 yards. We ran out of windage on the scope at about 1.5 inches to the left of center. Any ideas what I should look at first ? Thinking bur or something on the bottom of the mounts, top of the chamber area or possibly I didnt get the rings lapped correctly? I have the exact same scope on my Remington 700 7mm rem mag ( different mounts ) mounted it the same way and it works perfectly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I had the same issue with a leupold vx-6. I contacted them and they had me center the reticle. I already did that by counting clicks on the turrets. They told me thats not the proper way to center. They had me go into the bathroom with good lighting and hold the scope up to the mirror and look through it. I did and seen 2 reticles. They told me that meant it wasn't truly centered. They had me turn the turrets until the reticles met and I could only see 1 reticle. I did and that worked great. Not sure if it'll help you but its worth a shot

Quick reaction: two possibilities -- scope is defective (unlikely) or rings are not true to bore.

I'd try to rule out first possibility by putting a different scope on it to see how it shoots. If it still doesn't impact where it should, your rings are likely not true to bore. Can you swap rings, front to back? This might tell you if the rings are cockeyed.

Never heard that one....obviously seriously technical....
I've never heard of that either. If it was anybody else other than leupold telling me that I would of thought they was full of it. All I know is it worked for me in my situation. I ran out of clicks at 200 yards until I did that

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.