Elevation/Windage

regency

Are there any good websites that walk you through every little detail of finding the correct elevation and windage adjustments.

Would it be best to just sight my rifle in at 200yds. Then, set up targets at 300 350 400 450 500 and aim where you want the bullet to hit, then measure how much the bullet dropped and that is your calculation?

I zero at 100 then move and adjust the elevation as needed and record everything so as to create a click chart for each specific rifle and load. Once the chart is made dialing in is much simpler. Some work up front to save some work in the future.

Mike

Are there any good websites that walk you through every little detail of finding the correct elevation and windage adjustments.
Sure there is.......right here. Read a lot, use the "search" function a lot and feel free to ask when in doubt.

This link will give you some reading on software related to ballistics to get you started.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/ballistics-programs-web-based-downloadable-9647/

Would it be best to just sight my rifle in at 200yds. Then, set up targets at 300 350 400 450 500 and aim where you want the bullet to hit, then measure how much the bullet dropped and that is your calculation?
You'll find that different people zero their guns at different ranges for personal reasons. Yes, shooting at all ranges is beneficial to you and you'll find that with the data you get you'll be able to enter it into the software you'll find and then you can comprise valid field data for your individual gun under conditions at the time of testing. You can't rely on software only, you need actual field data with your guns and loads.

Home Page Article

There is an article on the home page that will help you get your optics and load dialed in.

I use JBM ballistics software on the internet. Easy to use freeware.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.