windage adjustment

trb0

At 700 yards to move my point of impact(horizontal) 10 inches how many clicks should it take on my 8.5x25x50 leupold?Thanks trb0

Yup, I 6mm is on the money.

(10/7)/.25 = 5.7 somethin'

Give it 5 clicks and nudge it a bit one way or go 6 clicks and nudge it about half as w/5 clicks the other way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ol'Gator:

The scope moves ¼" per click at 100 yards. This ¼" movement translates into ¼" times 7 or 1 3/4" per click at 700 yards. You need to move 10", so 10" divided by 1 ¾" per click means you need to move the scope 5.714 clicks to move the point of impact 10" at 700 yards.

Since you can't move a scope in partial clicks, you have to either move it 5 clicks or 6 clicks. Since 5.714 clicks is much closer to 6 than 5, you would probably move it 6 clicks. This is assuming the point of impact was exactly 10" left and you scope moves exactly .25" per click, per 100 yards.

Thus either 10/(7 x .25) or (10/7)/.25 = 5.714 clicks, or the 6 clicks mentioned above. Some scopes move exactly ¼" per click as advertised and some don't. You really should check your scope to see how far it moves the point of impact per click by shooting groups and testing.

Hope this helps out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Makes perfect sense. Many thanks for taking the time to explain. Being a real newbie, I'm subject to ask a lot more dumb questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.