Help with scope windage issue

JUST bed them and be done with all the screwing around!!! Problem solved.
L.Sherm has a good solution a light bedding works wonders also .
Yup that will work PROVIDED there is a positive reference point/hold to keep the scope plumb above the bore while the bedding compound sets. If not you risk the scope being off center again and right back where you started ......running out of correction.

If you have a laser pointer or way to bore sight you can literally center your windage and put some elevation if you want some or center the elevation to, I dont understand all the lapping and back and forth.

If you have a laser pointer or way to bore sight you can literally center your windage and put some elevation if you want some or center the elevation to, I dont understand all the lapping and back and forth.
Post #33, the OP pulled the rings off the rifle and found some trash and burrs under the rear base/ring that kept it from being properly seated to the receiver while being lapped the first time.
In theory, it is far enough out of plumb from the lapping that further lapping to bring it back into plumb will enlarge the scope ring area enough that the ring will not hold the scope properly over the bore AND ensure the scope will stay in place under recoil from a 300 Win Mag. And if it does hold under recoil, will he be right back where he started , with the scope not over the bore and running out of scope adjustment .

I understand that that's why he should just bed them know and center everything up just like I posted above, obviously you've never bedded rings.

I understand that that's why he should just bed them know and center everything up just like I posted above, obviously you've never bedded rings.
None that have been mistakenly over lapped so that there is need for more than a slight skim coat on one side creating an imbalance. I don't believe the OP has either, first post says he is new to rifle shooting in general, (more acclimated to shotguns) Little more experience is needed to get them centered up and gripping the scope as there is obviously more material taken from one inside portion than the other. Moving the crosshairs onto target at 25 yds., he ran out of adjustment. (a Swarovski z3 , has around 42- 43moa of adjustment)
If it was my Father, I would want it to be positively right. So I would get new rings and start anew with the setup.

You think bedding the rings the way they are is gonna be all screwed up.
Rmclennan I wish you were closer I'd bed them for you to show you just how easy it is.

You think bedding the rings the way they are is gonna be all screwed up.
Rmclennan I wish you were closer I'd bed them for you to show you just how easy it is.
Partially true, I think a person inexperienced in bedding rings such as these have become would find it easier to replace them. An experienced person such as you, have at it.

Were all inexperienced at some point, gotta start somewhere your telling him to throw the rings away so what does he got to loose.

If he had used Leupold rings and had something under one side of the rear ring he would still have had problems.

Conclusion: Gotta check carefully before screwing the rings on.

Brownings are notorious for tapping their screw holes at an angle. Try Burris rings with inserts and use the inserts to align the scope windage

Brownings are notorious for tapping their screw holes at an angle. Try Burris rings with inserts and use the inserts to align the scope windage

I think those are Talley Ultralight rings branded Browning. I have never had a problem with them but did With Leupold fixed rings on my first Remington. Assume screw holes were not aligned properly on my rifle. Had to go to Leupold windage mounts. Wasn't the end of the world.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.