Using Elevation and Windage knobs

captacademy

Is there interactive software, books or video that teaches the use and adjustment of the elevation and windage knobs for tactical and target scopes.

A video may be nice but, I'd recomed just going out and doing it. Get a buddy with a spotting scope who can call shots for you. In short order (ok maybe a year or two) the turrets will be an extention of your fingers. I assume your turrets are labeled in MOA, there's pleanty of info if you use the search feature. Do a little reading and head out for the woods to get some hands on learning experience.

I'm an old man and question the value of movie type shots made after twisting the knobs. A lot of scopes simply don't follow the adjustments reliably. Better by far to accurately zero in calm conditions so you know where it should hit, then hold over or into the wind to compensate for what you need to hit.

I'm an old man and question the value of movie type shots made after twisting the knobs
Hey, don't be knocking 'ol men. I might have to take offense.;) Don't really follow your reasoning about "movie type shots".:confused: Do you believe that because somebody dials for a shot that it's something on a par with some kind of a movie stunt? With proper equipment that has been proven in the field by shooting under all conditions, I feel that dialing for a shot is the most accurate way of guaranteeing poa equals poi. I can crank my scope up and down, left and right, all day long and it always returns to zero when I set it all back to 0 and 0.;)

It's true that some scopes don't track reliably and if I had one, and was serious about long range hunting, I be buying a new, properly designed, long range scope and either put the old one on a short range rig or I'd sell it.;)

Better by far to accurately zero in calm conditions so you know where it should hit, then hold over or into the wind to compensate for what you need to hit.
I guess to each his own, and I know that everybody is entitled to an opinion but, for me, Kentucky elevation and windage just don't cut it at long range. Holding off into space is just a guessing game isn't it?

I'm with SS7MM on this. I just ordered and watched Shawn's video and can't wait to try the box test he was talking about. I think if I had a scope that couldn't do it, I would buy a new scope.

Capt Academy, if you haven't ordered that video, or one similiar to it, I would highly recommend it. I just got done watching it and all of this material is covered real well. light bulb

I took a buck at 500yds using the "texas holdover" method (over 7 years ago), and since then have been using the target style turrets for more precise long range shooting. Looking back, the hold over for drop and windage is much more like a movie stunt. When shooting at a nice buck the excitement of the moment makes your judgment questionable at best. There are so many small judgments you must make to pull off a shot like that. How far is it, how much bullet drop, from where and how fast is the wind, how much less compensation do I need for the steep anle, exactly where do I put the crosshairs, etc, etc. To zap an animal with a rangfinder, look at your drop chart for elevation and windage adjustment and aim dead on is far simpler. Needless to say, once you've used the system sucessifully, you wouldn't go back.

reticle options

Dear Capt Academy,

We off a great long range shooting video that I did several years ago when I was just a youngster. It would be a great learning video for you! Its chocked full of tips, tricks and proper techniques regarding long range shooting.

Regarding reticles versus dialing, both methods, work but a properly designed reticle like Advanced Reticle Technology offers far more positve and reliable long range shooting compensation than dialing.

Take for example:

Our reticle provides 30 precise aiming references based in MInutes of Angle, the same angular unit of measure that your dial responds too. Rather than dial, simply go to the desired aiming reference in the scope and shoot. We did not lift our head from the stock to dial elevation, nor did we have to return to our intial zero, by dialing back.

Most importantly the reticle NEVER changes, its etched on a glass lens in the scope. No worries about springs, backlash, erector tubes responding to elevation adjustments, point of impact shifts due to recoil, etc.

IMHO it also more accurate given a good design. You'll note our reticle is numbered in MOA, this allows the shooter to find the correct aiming reference quickly and without error. Depending on where the rifle zero's, we may have used up alot of our windage and or elevation in zeroing the rifle. When we need to dial elevation and or windage we could be up against the side of the erector tube which will cause an dual adjustment where we get elevation as well as windage... Not very comforting when we have to make a critical shot!!

I have tested several of the major scope brands over the years and have noted something very interesting by doing so. Draw a ( plumb) vertical line on a sheet of cardboard or paper and set your target backer at 100 yds. Mark precise MOA reference marks on that line, minute of angle x 1.047. Zero the rifle at the bottom of the vertical line, zero your elevation knob and dial 3 MOA increments for a total of 30 MOA. Note the point of impact of those shots to the precise aiming reference we've marked on the target backer. Most of you will be amazed at the erratic points of impact when dialing. An advantage to an etched reticle is that this does not occur. Contrary to popular belief there are not Gremlins in the scope playing with your aiming references. For all serious shooters this is a MUST DO TEST!!!!

An etched reticle can also prevent full rotaional errors that are so common in long range shooting when dialing multiple revolutions on the elevation knob. Anyone who has dialed for long range at one time or another has made this error. I know I have!!! With a properly designed etched reticle this is virtually eliminated. Imagine the embarrassment of missing a target by 15 MOA because you were 1 revolution out???

For those individuals who like cutting edge technology give us a call and request our DVD on Advanced Reticle Technology. We offer ART in Leupold Schmidt & Bender and soon NIGHTFORCE rifle scopes. We can also install reticles in your Leupold and S&B scopes call for detals and pricing. In the next 4-6 weeks we will debue our reticle designs in the NEW Leupold FFP ( first focal plane) scopes 4.5x14x50 and 6.5x20x50 Mark 4 's.

With Advanced Reticle Technology the only thing you have to lose are the EXCUSES!!

Be safe and shoot straight!

Sincerely

Darrell Holland 541-439-5155 9:00-3:00 PST

I ordered and watched Shawn's video, it was great! I can't wait to find time to attend one of his schools. I don't know why I never went to a sniper school before, as I had direct access to several. I however, will attend Shawn's at some point. I think Shawn's school would be tops!

ART Reticle

Darrell I did see your system at the SCI show in Reno and was very impressed with it. So much, that I sent my Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm and had your ART System installed in my scope. I plan on mounting this scope on my McMillian, 300 win mag. I can't wait to test it. I will put my test results here on this site. I have used Leupold's Custom Shop reticle and found it to work very well and is fast. I think your reticle takes off where theirs left off. You take it to the next level. I really like your gold card ballistic system as well! I would like to get your long range video and view it. I will check your web site. The more info I can glean from this topic, the more informed I will be.

I just wanted to learn how to dail knobs so I could shoot beyond 1200 yards. I am having a 338 RUM built and will put my NF 5.5-22x-56 scope on this rifle. Your ART System would be great in this scope!

This site alone offers the experience from some of the best in the field of Long Range Shooting and Hunting and is a fantastic resource!

More info.

Dear Capt. Academy,

Good Morning, thanks for the reply.

Yes, we will be offering the 5.5-22 NIGHTFORCE in FFP reticle model. We will have a 30 MOA reticle design. so you won't need to dial much to shoot to 1200 yards. Saves wear and tear the elevationb knob and eliminates those full rotational errors.

I will have our NEW ULTIMATE DATA CARD software out soon. It produces a pocket size data card with the following information.

Range in MILS Actual range, drop MOA drift MOA and ANY four angles you choose auto-calcualted to MOA based on time of flight and gravity of YOUR specific cartridge. Should be a HIT with long range shooters...

Best of luck at Shawn's school, I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time.

Keep me posted on your ART experience, do not hesitate to give me a ring if you have any questions???

Shoot straight,

Respectfully

Darrell Holland

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.