Help with new magneto speed numbers

I think it would make more sense to go with the Winchester. I should be able to get some good info before the cases are spent.

The plan is to go 0.3gr apart on charges. I'll start at 60.0gr and work up to the max of 63.0gr. I'll load two rounds of each charge.

You could do your initial work up with the winchester to get some base line data, especially if you are planning on working up past book max to see how close the next highest node it. Let the old brass take the beating.

You might have to redo a bit of your workup when you switch to starline brass. But it won't be a shot in the dark either.

You can do it however you want but that's a lot of time wasted IMO, I load 1ea in .5gr increments shoot all of them find the cluster and work from there, don't worry about your magneto speed until you find a group or you will beat yourself to death and get no where, Just my 2 pennies worth
What distance do you do this from?

Man I've tried your exact approach at 100 yards and there wasn't a big enough difference in POI to glean any useful information. Just so I'm clear, you are looking for a cluster of similar POI, not a flat spot in velocities. Is that correct?

Well here's what I've got. I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe there's a node somewhere between 60.6 and 61.2? Then another starting around 63.0?

BTW, 63.0 is book max from Hodgdon's web site, so I didn't load any passed there. But, I saw no pressure signs on those rounds, so I may load a a few at 63.3 next time.

chargeshot 1shot 2

And I've also attached a picture of the graph. Using the extra rubber spacer on top of the barrel worked pretty well.

Also, I noticed a lot of blast dimples on the sensor. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm wondering whether it is just from the blast or if it's unburned powder. Here's a picture.

Attachments

• velocity.png
    velocity.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_20200613_155550302.jpg
    IMG_20200613_155550302.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
60.6 to 61.2 looks decent. You very well could have a better node at 62.7 to 63 or so. If you didn't see any signs of pressure, I would keep going up until you do. Typically, I find my best node just before pressure signs start showing up. My guess is, if you shoot 63.3, you'll find your node.

after looking at the hodgdon data for staball in 3006 with 150 nos bt --

looks like max is due to compression , not max pressure hodgdon data stop at 59,600 , and actual max pressure for 30-06 springfield is 60,190

based on your bullet design and how far out you are seating would change that capacity a little
did you see pressure at all ??? and was this with the winchester brass

the graph numbers are on a heavy climb right there at the 63 charge ..and id wanna stay away from that climb , work up slow to find pressure .

do another batch all around that 60.9 -- 60.7, 60.8 60.9 61.0 & 61.1 -- take the bayo off on the 60.9 and see how it groups

TEMP FPS DATA CHART.GIF

Last edited:
I agree with the others that 60.6 to 61.2 looks interesting.

Were it my test, I would drop down to .1 grain intervals and load 5 of each at 60.6, 60.7, 60.8, 60.9, 61, 61.1 and 60.2 I like to see how the whole node looks, probably not nessesary though. From that test I pick the best SD / ES and shoot groups with that.

after looking at the hodgdon data for staball in 3006 with 150 nos bt --

looks like max is due to compression , not max pressure hodgdon data stop at 59,600 , and actual max pressure for 30-06 springfield is 60,190

based on your bullet design and how far out you are seating would change that capacity a little
did you see pressure at all ??? and was this with the winchester brass

the graph numbers are on a heavy climb right there at the 63 charge ..and id wanna stay away from that climb , work up slow to find pressure .

I didn't see any pressure signs at all with the 63.0 gr charge. There's definitely space left in the case for more powder without compression. Yes, it was with winchester brass.

I'll check out the good looking lower node in detail next time and test for group size. I'll also go from 63.0 - 63.3 or so in 0.1 gr increments to see if that is actually a node there. I don't want to shoot at that max charge with any regularity, I'm just curious about the spreads at that charge versus the lower charge.

I worked on my brass last night, and it seems that my winchester brass (3x firings) was a little too hard to neck size. I tried a couple and there wasn't enough bullet tension. I realized I have some 1x fired federal cases, so I prepped those to use next time. But, the base-to-shoulder measurement with my comparator on these is about 0.003 shorter than the winchester due to less firings, so the velocity might be slightly lower with these same charges, I think.

Anneal your winchester necks.

I've got some tempilaq 750F but haven't tried annealing yet. I've been too worried about it not being consistent enough with the drill and torch method. You think doing that would be more worthwhile than using the federal brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.