Help needed: 26“ bbl .30-06

Is an accurate 26“ bbl .30-06 with Krieger #7 contour possible?

• The whole idea is impossible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Might work

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No problem with a good gunsmith

Votes: 21 100.0%

• Total voters
Hmm well I would not use him again. He might have an illustrious past but his current opinions and actions are red flags imo. There are barrel manufactures/ smiths here in the states that make shouldered/ variable prefit barrels for Tikkas.

I will not ever use him again.
I do have to allow him to correct his mistake though.
I would of course prefer him to pay the bill of another gs to fix his mistake, but I doubt that will be a possible outcome.

Prefits are available in Germany, but usually just in very basic configurations. 20" . 308 Win, 22" 6.5 Creedmore etc.
They don't offer .30-06 and the prefits a prohibitively exspensive.
They start at around 800 $. Usually the barrel has to be proof fired and installed by a gunsmith, adding a few hundred more. There are exceptions like Blaser R8 barrels and other tool free user level barrel change systems. I haven't seen anything like that for tikka though, at least not in Germany.

I have been burnt a few times recently from so-called gunsmiths. Shameful when you take them your hard earnings and they let you down.

My first full custom back in 2020 went this way. Was told by people I trust, he had done good work for them and their competition rifles. Took a box of parts to him. Rifle was beautiful and shot very well. I was happy then got bored and traded the rifle. New owner found the barrel was not threaded correctly. First two threads were tight and all that kept it together the rest were loose. I would never have known unless it lost torque from lots of firing. Not a cheap barrel ether. Felt terrible and tried to get it back to make it right. Tried to pay the gunsmith that had it being corrected but wouldn't take the money.

Thanks for all the quick answers, guys!
I didn't expect a response like that and I'm impressed by the unanimous vote.

There is a small twist or rather addendum to the story.
I expected a .30-06 to be a no brainer and ordered the barrel last year, defining the specifications via email and describing the expected outcome and purpose of the rifle in detail. The rifle was in the gunsmiths hands since June 23.
He is quite reputable, usually builds benchrest and other competition rifles and has supplied a lot of them over the last decades for various national championships.
I have never had any work done by him, but shot rifles build by him before.
He uses Krieger and Bartlein barrels, one of the few in Germany keeping a small stock.
And he lives just 50 miles away.
That's why I chose him.

The rifled action was finished in March and I received it 2 weeks ago. He didn't follow my specifications and cut the barrel at 23.6". Maybe I should say he didn't choose to care for my wishes, since he contoured the barrel to the specified 0.75" muzzle diameter at 23.6". The muzzle brake wasn't timed right either, the safety is missing and he apparently sanded of the actions coating on top, as if he wanted to glue on a picatinny rail. Quite a fubar, in my opinion.
After I called him out and asked him to remedy his mistake he started telling me the aforementioned excuses, so far refusing to even acknowledge that he made a mistake.

At the end of the day my insurance will cover any cost, if legal action would become necessary, but I had hoped to have my dream rifle in my hands instead of thinking about lawyers.

ps:
the post was saved a bit too early 😁

@Muddyboots
I thought about the Serengeti Reamer too, but it's not really available in Germany. This I went with a standard chamber with lease adjusted to a loaded bullet at 3.46".

@436
Thanks 👍🏼

@K.E.C.
I really love the cartridge and I decided on a stainless barrel, too.
Availability of Bergers is a bit difficult, thus I went with Hornady for the time being. 600 bullets are ready, if they work well, more are easy to come by.

@Gary in MD
I hope it will be my do all rifle. I can't imagine any game that won't succumb to a .30-06 with the right heavy bullet.
Gunsmithwise I'm screwed, but hopefully he'll come around, if atleast to avoid legal fees.

@redneckbmxer24
The next rifle will be done by a different gs, I'll keep you guys updated how the project proceeds.

@del2les
I've seen so many long barrelled .30-06 here and on the hide, that I didn't expect any problems. Except barrel availability and proof house queues maybe.

@lancetkenyon
If he had just made these comments earlier, I would have taken the rifle and run. You're absolutely right.

@dls guide
A cooper I've been dreaming of at one point too (if we're talking about the same company). Did you take a synthetic or one of their walnut stocks?

@DirectDrive
He absolutely isn't. Good smiths are rare in Germany though, and now I'll have to pay for the education on that subject.

@sable tireur
Thanks for your kind words.
The barrel itself should be fine, since the gs uses Bartlein and Krieger exclusively. He is probably just stuck in the benchrest world so far, that he can't imagine a lighter barrelled rifle to shoot well. Or I'm starting to make excuses for his bs.
Lapua Scenar are available, I'll probably order some, if the ELD-X don't work out.
VVN160 is readily available too, about Hodgon powders I'm not certain.
I hope to get a bit better velocity with VVN560 but only time will tell, if the gs comes around and fixes his mistake.

@xsn10s
I really don't understand his reasoning either. The Tikka I owned before and I have 2 stocks for it, one synthetic stock accepting 3.715" mags and the MDT Chassis in the picture accepting the shorter ones. The longer mags work really well with longer cartridges, with the MDT chassis I have to be a bit more careful. I believe the max coal was something like 3.42". But I'd have to check again.
I guess the gunsmith has never heard the phrase "the customer is always right."

Happy to hear that you can get Krieger and Bartlein barrels in Germany !
I'm very surprised to read that good gunsmiths are hard to find in Germany.
Hopefully you will reach some degree of satisfaction with this current GS.

🐂💩
@bamban or @mountainman56 can jump in as well but the 06 with 26" brl is whole different animal.

I can tell you my son's 700 ADL 22" brl shoots Hammer 180HH at 2875 with incredible accuracy. The Serengeti chamber is awesome in 06 and I have thought to build one!

Get a new gunsmith.

Here is the 28 inch Krieger, I chambered with Serengeti reamer. I get this velocity with 215 Hybrids using RL17 or N560. As y'all know barrels are all different. Just like women real good ones are hard to find and still don't know what makes them tick.... sorry, gals... just a joke.

It's a mini magnum

Attachments

• 20221015_102327.jpg
    20221015_102327.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 26
  • 20221109_122610.jpg
    20221109_122610.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Here is the 28 inch Krieger, I chambered with Serengeti reamer. I get this velocity with 215 Hybrids using RL17 or N560. As y'all know barrels are all different. Just like women real good ones are hard to find and still don't know what makes them tick.... sorry, gals... just a joke.

It's a mini magnum
That sounds like a sweet rig and this performance is exactly what I'm after.
At which COAL are you loading the hybrids?

@DirectDrive
Gunsmithing is highly regulated in Germany and thus hard to get into.
There are plenty of competent machinists, but only few of them have any contact to shooting or hunting and are well payed in there regular jobs. Not much of an incentive to invest in machinery and truckloads of paperwork and exams to be allowed to do some gunsmithing.
The whole market is rather small too and a lot of certified gun smiths just sell factory rifles and sometimes solder sling attachements to barrels.

@Shane Lindsey
I'm sorry to hear that your having similar troubles, did the original gunsmith own up to his mistake in the end in any way?

That sounds like a sweet rig and this performance is exactly what I'm after.
At which COAL are you loading the hybrids?

@DirectDrive
Gunsmithing is highly regulated in Germany and thus hard to get into.
There are plenty of competent machinists, but only few of them have any contact to shooting or hunting and are well payed in there regular jobs. Not much of an incentive to invest in machinery and truckloads of paperwork and exams to be allowed to do some gunsmithing.
The whole market is rather small too and a lot of certified gun smiths just sell factory rifles and sometimes solder sling attachements to barrels.

@Shane Lindsey
I'm sorry to hear that your having similar troubles, did the original gunsmith own up to his mistake in the end in any way?

Just measured one loaded with RL17. I am using Wyatt box

20240404_141442.jpg

OP, while I'm all for your project one tiny word of caution that #7 Krieger ss /bbl is 5.5 lbs , which will be great for target , but it's going to be Way heavier to hunt with . 30 yrs back I had a 270 wcf built with a #7 ss Douglas bbl,it shot great but way too heavy for hunting even though it went plenty ,was Younger and dumber back then , lol. I took my own advice when I had my 06 target built I went with a #5.5 ss/Hart barrel 1/10 twist 27.25 inch bbl and it's much better for all around chores . Your barrel maker choice is Great ,but fine another gs. Wishing you all the Best cheers from America, 🥳👏👏👍

@Beng - my wife and I are headed to Luxembourg in September then headed to Germany, Belgium, England and France - if there's anything I can bring you from the good 'ol US of A send me a PM. Reamers, bullets, barrels, whatever will fit in a checked bag and doesn't get me probed or arrested...

I can send it on to you when I arrive, unless you're close to our travel route and we can arrange a meet up.

Just measured one loaded with RL17. I am using Wyatt box

View attachment 560875
Thank you very much.
That is a bit longer than my magazines will accept. The current batch that is waiting for testing is loaded to 3.47"

@jjmp
For longer hikes I have another Tikka in 9.3x62 with a pencil barrel and 1-6 scope.
I rarely hunt more than 10 miles from the place where I'm staying, so I have the luxury to chose my gear every time I'm heading out.

@AkleyFan
Thanks for your kind offer!
Right now I cant think of anything that wouldn't cause trouble at the airports, especially since you're going to travel through several countries.
My girlfriend was only 2 weeks ago in the US on business and already brought holsters and other unproblematic items.

Your trip sounds pretty good. If you need any help when you're in Germany let me know. Since you're going to be in Luxembourg, think about visiting Trier in Germany. Beautiful old city that was founded by Romans over 2000 years ago. In the middle of the best German wine region, too.

Attachments

• IMG_2305.jpeg
    IMG_2305.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 13
The gunsmith finally replied and will take the barrel back for a full refund.
I lost 10 months but at least it will be solved without litigation.

A different gunsmith will build the barrel for me. Lead time 20 weeks, but he's reliable easy to communicate with and has a track record for building good prs rigs over the last few years.
Downside is that I'll have to settle on Lothar Walther, which isn't too bad in the end, though.