24" or 26" bbl for 7wsm?

MSLRHunter

I had decided to go with a fluted #5 finished at 26" on my 7wsm build, but now I'm thinking about the same barrel finished at 24" just to make it a little handier. This will be an all around carry hunting rifle for shots out to around 600 yds. I plan on shooting 160 accubonds or maybe 168 bergers, but probably the accubond. Will I be able to get the 160 accubond close to 3100fps with a 24" or will I be giving up too much velocity from the 26"? It will be built on a SA Stiller predator with wyatts extended mag. Thanks!

I currently shoot a 7WSM with a 27" mcgowen varmint contour and am getting 3000fps exactly with 180gr bergers. I plan on building a new 7WSM this spring in a 24" magnum contour barrel just to make the packin around the mountains easier. My current one is built on a savage 110 long action and with the bergers seated out to the lands the fit in the magazine perfectly and feed perfectly. If I were you I would definitely go with the 24" if you're gonna pack it at all it would sure make it easier.

whole reason the wsm was developed, short action, shorter barrel, sure you can get more fps with a longer barrel, but you can with any caliber including 270, 3006, ect.
Personally I went with a 23" barrel and with muzzlebrake is 24.5" and is sweet to handle. gave up 70fps..............nothing I shoot seems to mind:D

whole reason the wsm was developed, short action, shorter barrel, sure you can get more fps with a longer barrel, but you can with any caliber including 270, 3006, ect.
Personally I went with a 23" barrel and with muzzlebrake is 24.5" and is sweet to handle. gave up 70fps..............nothing I shoot seems to mind:D

I went with the 24" barrel for the same reasons. Unfortunately I have not received the rifle yet so I can't comment on it further. I'm at 2 1/2 years waiting so far. Maybe it will never show up. I'd still order the same set up if I had to start over. The 7WSM still seems to be a great round for the it's intended use after continued research of all the ballistic info on other rounds I've compared.

Gordon

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.