24 or 26" barrel for 270 win?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Sleepy Time, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Sleepy Time

Sleepy Time Well-Known Member

Getting ready to breathe new life into my ole .270 Win and I have a question. After ordering my Mcmillan stock and Lilja barrel I am wondering if I did the right thing by ordering the barrel 24" and not 26"? I think I'll be happy with the 24, but now I'm just not sure. So I ask y'all this, what are y'alls opinions on the matter?

2. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

lot easier to cut and re crown than it is to add 2" .

3. bosstom

bosstom Well-Known Member

Did you order a 24" barrel or a barrel that will finish at 24"? When I rebarrel mine I'm going with 26".

4. Sleepy Time

Just got off the phone with Lilja. This is my first "build" so I'm learning. Anyway, the barrel will be fluted for 24", but shipped 28". So I can finish the barrel at whatever length I want to have it finished at. The only thing is that the flutes will be "short" if I don't decide to go 24". Said I can always call back later and get it fluted for 26". So what that means is that I have plenty of time to decide!:D

Keep y'alls opinions coming.

5. bosstom

bosstom Well-Known Member

I think the flutes look better when they are shorter. i would finish at 26" and shoot it to see how you like it and you can always cut and recrown @24". Be sure to post up some pics of your build.

6. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

Most everything I have rebarrel I go with 25" or longer barrels. For some unknown reason on the 270 I had the gunsmith finish the Lilja barrel @ 24 1/2" long.

7. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

With the 26" barrel you get a bit more velocity. No real draw backs to going 26" unless you will use the rifle as a brush gun and get into the really thick stuff.

Why 270 though? Although it's a great cartridge, you can't get a bullet with a great BC. Whereas if you were to go with a 6.5mm or 7mm cartridge (think 6.5x284 or 280Rem) you can get great BC bullets.

8. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Good shooting, high BC bullets are a phone call away for the 270's and is not an issue anymore!!! A .650 BC VLD in the 2750-2850fps isn't to bad IMO.

9. cahunter805

cahunter805 Well-Known Member

bigngreen- Are you referring to the Matrix VLD?

I would go with a 26" and like stated before cur and recrown if it doesn't work out for you. What rate of twist did you order? I assume 1:10.

10. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Yep!gun)

11. Sleepy Time

Yeah 1:10.

Why the 270? Emotional attachment. My daddy shoots one, great uncle shoots one, grew up shooting one. When someone say deer rifle I think .270 win. Always wanted to build one. If those aren't good enough, it's because everyone keeps telling me I should go 6.5 or 7mm. :D

I hear you though. After this one is done the next one will be 7mm.

12. trebark

darn good reasons to build a 270!

13. royinidaho

royinidaho Well-Known Member

I'm working on that problem. Has P O'd me for years. First bullets will begin field testing in a couple of weeks up in Montana. Fingers are crossed. (140, 150, 160 class bullets w/bc hopefully well over 0.6. We'll see.....

As for barrel length. with 140s she's good to maybe 800 yards w/24" w/a 27" barrel she's good for maybe 800 yards also. I say 800 yards as that is as far as I busted milk jugs with both barrel lengths before I went to the Allen Mag.

Both barrels with the exact same load pushed the 140s @ 3190 FPS. I think the tighter Lilja bore counter acted the extra 3 inches. But groups were frighteningly small out of the Lilja. The ca. 1966 Douglas Premium was great. The Lilja is out of this world....

14. trebark

Originally Posted by trebark [​IMG]
    With the 26" barrel you get a bit more velocity. No real draw backs to going 26" unless you will use the rifle as a brush gun and get into the really thick stuff.

Why 270 though? Although it's a great cartridge, you can't get a bullet with a great BC. Whereas if you were to go with a 6.5mm or 7mm cartridge (think 6.5x284 or 280Rem) you can get great BC bullets.

Roy - I am familiar with your mad scientist work. http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/italian-screw-machine-nears-completion-71398/

Both you and bigngreen are right that there are a couple of 270 bullets that have a decent BC. But there are only a couple of them.

If the OP goes with 6.5mm or 7mm cartridge, he can choose high BC bullets from Hornady, Nosler, Berger, Sierra....in varying weights and types (hunting, target, varmint).