24 or 26 inch barrel for a 300 Win Mag?

71, are you considering a 300WM purchase or a rebarrel, or do you have a 24" now?

I set mine up as a mountain hunting rig. My gunsmith said my Bartlein barrel came in long enough to go to a 26" length. He asked me what I wanted to do. I told him no way would I want to get a 26" barrel under low hanging trees and brush.

You will lose a bit of speed, but you will still hit a accuracy node speed-wise with a 190 or 215 grain Berger. I have shot the 190's to 1300 yards with great accuracy.
The 215's can be shot to a mile and still group.

This is all my opinion, but I have proven it to myself in the field. Most of my practice has been backed by a lot of thoughts shared on this forum.

26"-Not for any particular ballistic reason, but I like the fit and feel of magnums better in 26".

If I go shorter, it's usually a standard cartridge, in either 20-or 22".

Of course if you want a suppressor on it then 24 makes sense to me.

Your call as has been said.

I have both, I prefer the 26" barrel, the 24" barrel IS louder. The 26" barrel runs 100fps, on average, faster than the 24".
On my comp rifle, I have 28" and 30" barrels to utilise very slow powders for extra velocity, 200-300fps is typical.
I hunt some tough terrain, I almost always have my 26" barreled 300 on my shoulder, my 338 also has a 26" tube, it comes with me every other trip.

Cheers.
:rolleyes:

Is 24 inch barrel ok for 300 Win Mag, or does it need 26 inch?

Yes and no!

IIWY, I'd go with the 26" min. If the extra velocity loss using 24" is negligible ... so as the 2" extra in length. :cool:

If 26" does not work out for you, you can always have it cut to 24" later but not the other way around. lightbulb

I have a Remington 700 LSS 300 Win Mag with 24 inch barrel, and was wondering for shooting at long range and using Berger bullets, if I should have a 26 inch barrel instead.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

length is not a problem. how is it shooting now? which berger bullets have you tried? what are you shooting at?

I have a Remington 700 LSS 300 Win Mag with 24 inch barrel, and was wondering for shooting at long range and using Berger bullets, if I should have a 26 inch barrel instead.

My 24" Rem 700 Milspec with 210 and 215 Bergers has no problem generating velocities of 2870 and 2905FPS respectively with ES under 10FPS for both. I use 77.9/79 gr of Retumbo with Fed215's for these loads. Both bullets shoot .25-.5MOA. Another 2" of barrel might give you another 40-50FPS.......certainly not worth buying another rifle for.IMO

Go 26" or longer when it is time to re-barrel. My SAKOM995 has a 24" barrel and harvested a MT bull elk @ 931 yards in 2013 pushing 190 Berger VLD @ 3043 FPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.