Help....my wife cant see consistently through th scope.

My wife love to hunt but she has been getting very frustrated because she can't see through a scope consistently. She missed the opportunity on a buck last year because she couldn't see through the scope. Its bad enough that she's not eaven excited about our elk hunt next week.

Is there a somewhere she can take some shooting classes and get professionally fitted so she can enjoy going again.

I have tried to help but I dont know how and it normally ends in a fight, from what I can see she is shouldering the gun to low and can't get a check weld but she says its comfortable there. I'm going to make a foam riser for the stock at work today.
just like a car or truck your rear view, seat setting ect will not work for her, what is the first thing you do when you get into a new car you adj everything for your self get her a stock that she can fit to her self like one ofthe stocks from GRS or others

just like a car or truck your rear view, seat setting ect will not work for her, what is the first thing you do when you get into a new car you adj everything for your self get her a stock that she can fit to her self like one ofthe stocks from GRS or others

Attachments

• 69871505_2732552630111355_2573928210630705152_o.jpg
    69871505_2732552630111355_2573928210630705152_o.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 91
In addition to all of the other good advice (stock shortened to fit her, add-on cheek rest, keep magnification as low a practical for range/game, etc.) teach her to focus her eyes on the intended target and then bring the scope up between her eye and the target without moving her head. This worked very well for my wife when she started shooting a rifle. -Ed

My wife love to hunt but she has been getting very frustrated because she can't see through a scope consistently. She missed the opportunity on a buck last year because she couldn't see through the scope. Its bad enough that she's not eaven excited about our elk hunt next week.

Is there a somewhere she can take some shooting classes and get professionally fitted so she can enjoy going again.

I have tried to help but I dont know how and it normally ends in a fight, from what I can see she is shouldering the gun to low and can't get a check weld but she says its comfortable there. I'm going to make a foam riser for the stock at work today.
See how it looks like you said she is shouldering the stock too low and you notice how in the picture it looks like she has her head rolled over that's because women have longer necks than men so therefore she puts the the stock where it's comfortable on shoulder which is too low they she rolls her head over to meet the stock. The Morgan recoil pad fixes the issue. Next is the long eye relief scope fixes not be able to see not sure why but it does. Older guy in the gun shop helped up figure this out 20 year ago when we were dating. loves her gun!

Attachments

• 16036385898301721564294.jpg
    16036385898301721564294.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 87
my wife will only shoot 22LR, and she is a little afraid of that even, one day she couldnt see thru the scope, I just told her "its fine you dont have to shoot today......."
it took her another few minutes, but she eventually started burning thru ammo

Have you checked her eye dominance?
She may be left eye dominant??
My ex wife had that problem so once we found that out the problem was solved with the buttstock being altered
Or shoot left handed but she could not do that
Good luck in finding a solution
She looks as if she.is holding the butt a little.low

She must he hunting elk and antelope out West.

Looks like she's huntin out west alright. Just ran across this thread of hers.....started this morning. ;)

I feel that the stock doesn't fit her. It appears to be to long. Measure from her pad of her trigger finger where the finger touches the trigger to her inside of her elbow where it bend changing to the upper arm with her arm in shooting form. Then check from the trigger to the end of the butt. Those should be the same for her to mounting the stock correctly. Ladies generally have a shorter measurement than men. That's life not being demeaning. I am a 6' 2 1/2" tall man and my arms a longer than most. So I require a longer stock to fit me. My bow draw length is 33" to give you an idea. Presently I can remember what my measurement is for a stock to fit me correctly. It's longer than what can be purchase for off the shelve firearm. Being left handed I generally have to build my own stocks to fit me anyway. Hope this will help.

You have a lot of folks making good suggestions:
1. Get a custom stock w/a built in adjustable cheek piece that is built for a women - Try AG Composites,
2. Readjust the location of the scope on a pic rail,
3. Get her shooting glasses w/a prescription,
4. Lower the magnification,
5. Don't know if this is an issue, but maybe she has recoil fear and is a bit intimated about pulling the trigger thus using can't see is an excuse (yes I know it sounds harsh & I apologize - it happened to my daughters) have her try practicing w/a 22cal or 17 cal rifle w/the exact same scope set up as her hunting rifle to eliminate that fear.

I skipped a couple pages on the thread so this might be repetitive.

I bougth these for my 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08 and my wife's 7mm-08.

It has several insert foams of different sizes and can be adjusted on top or a bit towards the side of the check rest.

This along with the scope set at the right position has helped my wife shoot half MOA groups with her rifle.

So when she grabs and holds the rifle it sits naturally where it needs to be, she does not have to make any adjustments.

When setting up the scope I had her hold her rifle and I set it where she had a complete field of view.

The foam inserts I had to set them a little bit towards the left (towards her cheek) and this way the rifle fits her perfectly. It raises and moves her head left to land perfectly on the scope every time.

It took a bit of time but the results were worth it. You can probably get these or something similar in a couple of days with fast shipping and set her up in the backyard for some dry fire if no time to hit the range and be ready for your hunt.

Hope this helps and stay safe

You have a lot of folks making good suggestions:
1. Get a custom stock w/a built in adjustable cheek piece that is built for a women - Try AG Composites,
2. Readjust the location of the scope on a pic rail,
3. Get her shooting glasses w/a prescription,
4. Lower the magnification,
5. Don't know if this is an issue, but maybe she has recoil fear and is a bit intimated about pulling the trigger thus using can't see is an excuse (yes I know it sounds harsh & I apologize - it happened to my daughters) have her try practicing w/a 22cal or 17 cal rifle w/the exact same scope set up as her hunting rifle to eliminate that fear.
Looks first as though she needs a cheek riser or to use the method of a lower jaw weld like you which is also what I do. After getting the weld to the stock established just practicing with an unloaded rifle at picking the target and then transitioning it from eye to scope smoothly is the key. This can be practiced without firing any rounds until she masters it and then its range time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts