Help me fill in the blank

Are those all of the rifle cartridges you own? Or just the ones that you use for long range shooting?

My immediate thoughts were go small with a 17 Hornet or go bigger with a 458 Win Mag (or similar). Although you may already have those arsenal blanks filled too, not sure. :)

Are those all of the rifle cartridges you own? Or just the ones that you use for long range shooting?

My immediate thoughts were go small with a 17 Hornet or go bigger with a 458 Win Mag (or similar). Although you may already have those arsenal blanks filled too, not sure. :)

Hey engineer, thats it for my centerfire cartridges. A 458 winmag must be some thumper

If you go small look at the .20 vartarg. That is by far my favorite of the small cases. Mine shots in the .3's at 200 and kills groundhogs dead dead.

If you go small look at the .20 vartarg. That is by far my favorite of the small cases. Mine shots in the .3's at 200 and kills groundhogs dead dead.

Thats a very interesting cartridge. I do have a 6mm and a 223 at this time and dont do much chuck huntin rigjt now. I'm looking more along the lines of weatherby type performance or better. Right now the 7stw is in the lead. I would like to kill bigger critters at more than the distances capable of my current rigs. Canyon type shooting, plains, beanfields. You know, a deer on the other side of the lake.

Take a look at the 338-378 Weatherby. I don't own one, but a couple of guys I hunt with do, and they have taken deer and elk at distances that I would never think about shooting large game.

Looking at your list, I'd fill in with a 300WM.

That my friend is certainly a very hard looked at option. That is currently a very close second. Thanx for your input. What rifles if any do you own in this cartridge. Please tell me about any magic thank you

That my friend is certainly a very hard looked at option. That is currently a very close second. Thanx for your input. What rifles if any do you own in this cartridge. Please tell me about any magic thank you

Like yourself I have run the gamet of the various calibers over the years with the goal of seeking a set of desirable cartridge/rifle combinations long range hunting/shooting. When I looked at your list I just felt the obvious gap was one of the 300 magnums. I think claiming "magic' of any given cartridge would be a stretch given there are lots of very capable choices out there. While my go-to hunting rifle is a 6.5x284 used for medium game and coyotes out to +1000 yards, of my many centerfires that range from 223 to 500-450, my Remington 700 MilSpec, 300WM(semi-customized) would, without question, be my choice if I could only possess one rifle. The 300WM is a nicely balanced cartridge, very accurate, with manageable recoil(with brake), and the ability to take any NA game at short to long range..... or, just spend an afternoon busting soccer bell sized rocks at 1500 yards.

Like yourself I have run the gamet of the various calibers over the years with the goal of seeking a set of desirable cartridge/rifle combinations long range hunting/shooting. When I looked at your list I just felt the obvious gap was one of the 300 magnums. I think claiming "magic' of any given cartridge would be a stretch given there are lots of very capable choices out there. While my go-to hunting rifle is a 6.5x284 used for medium game and coyotes out to +1000 yards, of my many centerfires that range from 223 to 500-450, my Remington 700 MilSpec, 300WM(semi-customized) would, without question, be my choice if I could only possess one rifle. The 300WM is a nicely balanced cartridge, very accurate, with manageable recoil(with brake), and the ability to take any NA game at short to long range..... or, just spend an afternoon busting soccer bell sized rocks at 1500 yards.

Couldn't have said it better. While I definitely enjoy bigger and smaller cases of varying calibers. The .300 magnums hold a sweet spot for me. The .300 wsm .30-338 winchester magnum and .300 winchester magnum all cover such a broad capability range that there will always be at least a few .30 magnums in my safe. I just put together a pre 64 model 70 winchester magnum rifle. I was pretty torn between an STW and a .30 magnum when I was decided what barrel it would wear this year chasing montana elk. I eventually settled on a .300 winchester magnum barrel for the reasons of barrel life, bullet weight, the fact that .30s just plain kill better, and ammunition availability. If I had to pick two calibers to take on once in a lifetime hunts they would be a .375 H&H and a .300 winchester magnum because if you loose your ammo, you can always find those in any store around the world.

Not only find ammo... but also reloading components. I'm not sure if there is much I get as frustrated at as not being able to find reloading components. 300 Win Mag brass is always available.

I love my 6.5-284. It blows my mind that even guys who shoot a lot, many times have never heard of it.

I just ordered some 147gr 6.5 Hornady ELD's with a BC of like .697 I think? Wow...

My 6.5-284 is super heavy and I love shooting it. But I keep thinking about building a lightweight 6.5-284 also that I could actually carry with me hunting.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts