6mm _________ you fill in the blank

I have a Winchester model 70 sa .243 and bought a lilja 6mm 1:9 twist 3 grove 26 inch barrel rem heavy varmint contour you.
Your bullet choice is going to be limited by your 9 twist barrel, remember that that just because a bullet flies straight punching a round hole in a target that doesn't mean it has enough stability to penetrate and expand reliably on game.
Check the twist rate on the table;
http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/all-bullets/

I think the same today as I did a week ago, Hornady brass sucks. It is a good think Hornady makes good bullets, they would starve if they had to relie on brass sales to eat.

I agree, if there was only Hornady brass available to reload with I'd probably give up on reloading! There's been a lot of necking down and necking up as of late. I have the 338 federal and love it. Instead of necking cartridges down to get a 6mm cartridge I simply went with the 6mm Remington and knocked the shoulder out to 40 degrees to a AI (Ackley Improved) and called it a day. You end up with about a 10 % increase in powder capacity and pick up a couple hundred FPS. The nice thing about Ackley Improved is that you can use the standard 6mm cartridge and obtain great accuracy and you end up with a fully formed AI casing when you're done. Another plus about AI cases is that they tend not to grow even when you've shot them a few times. The 40% shoulder prevents cases from lengthening.

I don't come on the site as often as I should, (Also Had A Medical Family Emerg.) When I saw the 6mm post I just wanted to post my first and favorite rifle, It's a 6mm Remington Model 700 Varmint, I have four 6mm rifles , 6mm Rem. .243 Win. , 6mm br. and 6mm BR-Dasher. The 6mm Rem. is why i got into accurate rifle. I have a interesting story about the rifle and what i learned. The first week i had the rifle my friend and took it down the range to sight it in. We were shooting off some 2x4s and I thought i was getting pretty good groups. I also bought a 3 piece Hoppes cleaning rod and kit, cleaned rifle after about 10 rounds. There were men shooting about 5 benches from us when two of the came over to me and said I have a nice rifle and 6x18 Redfield Scope. That's when I got a good education first they told me to get a 1 piece cleaning rod, a 1 piece rifle rest and may be try to get into reloading, My friend and I Have the same rifles. This was i believe in 1976 and the men that came over were Dr. lou Palmisano, Bob White and Skip Gordon. You probably know of Dr. Lou, The guy's were down the range that Thursday getting ready for a Bench Rest Match in PA. I am tring to upload a pic. of Rifle. The rest is history as far as me Shooting accurate rifle and woodchuck hunting.

Attachments

• DSC_2865.JPG
    DSC_2865.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
  • DSC_2871.JPG
    DSC_2871.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.