Help me

degreen

Ok, I have a Savage 111LRH in 338 Lapua. I am shooting 300 gr. Bergers with 88.6 grains of Retumbo. I zeroed the rifle in mid. 80 degree temp. did not have a single problem. Took the rifle elk hunting 2019 season in mid. 30 degree temps, and it locked the brass in the chamber. The brass was stuck so hard I had to use a metal rod and a hammer to get it out. Rifle and ammo were out in the air for several minutes before the shot. I am thinking that it could be a carbon ring, because I did not clean the bore and chamber after zeroing.

Ok, I have a Savage 111LRH in 338 Lapua. I am shooting 300 gr. Bergers with 88.6 grains of Retumbo. I zeroed the rifle in mid. 80 degree temp. did not have a single problem. Took the rifle elk hunting 2019 season in mid. 30 degree temps, and it locked the brass in the chamber. The brass was stuck so hard I had to use a metal rod and a hammer to get it out. Rifle and ammo were out in the air for several minutes before the shot. I am thinking that it could be a carbon ring, because I did not clean the bore and chamber after zeroing.
Did it blow the primer with extractor mark etc?

Did it blow the primer with extractor mark etc?
The primer was still in the case. I didn't look at the head, so don't know if there were extractor marks. I am not sure where that piece of brass ended up. The extractor did rip a chunk out of the rim when I was finally able to get the bolt open.

The primer was still in the case. I didn't look at the head, so don't know if there were extractor marks. I am not sure where that piece of brass ended up. The extractor did rip a chunk out of the rim when I was finally able to get the bolt open.
I asked because im wondering whether it was excessive pressure or something in the chamber that caused the brass to stick.
Especially, since the load was fine previously?
Also, was it wet weather?

I did have the same problem when I shooting 250 SGK, but when I went to the 250 SMK and 300 Bergers it went away until this.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.