help me decide please

cbryant

I have a remington 700 30-06 action i want to rebarrel and blueprint, I have decided between the 7mm ultra mag and the 300 ultra mag, i will be shooting long range deer and elk i just can not decide between these two cartridges, thanks for the input. cbryant

300 hands down IMHO.........7 rum is impressive and berger is talking about a new 195 super bullet for them but they are barrel burners from hell. The 300 would be more versatile with bullet selection going up into the 240 grain range.................... Have you considered the 338 rum with 300 grain high bc thumpers and better barrel life still? Any of the ultra mags will kick like a mule unless you put a brake on them so if your going that far, why not have the heavy weight bullet option for the long range elk. Good luck.

I love the 7's. But, the ultra is just too overbore, and barrel life is too short for me. I'd go with the 300 and run the 230's. You'd easily have a mile of reach.

I have the whole collection of ultra mags. My favorite out of them all is my 338. The 300 and the 7 are both great guns. If you are looking for speed with a heavy bullet, go with the 300. If you are a bit recoil sensitive, head towards the 7. If you want everything to die that you hit...the 338 and the 375 is the way to go!!!

Pick the 300...if it is not to late to go with the 338. :D

I think i have decided on the 7mm ultra mainly because berger came out with the 195 gr with the high bc,,. now i hope this is the right decision,,,cbryant

I have a remington 700 30-06 action i want to rebarrel and blueprint, I have decided between the 7mm ultra mag and the 300 ultra mag, i will be shooting long range deer and elk i just can not decide between these two cartridges, thanks for the input. cbryant

You do realize there are bolt face issues going from 30.06 to 7RUM don't you?

I'd like to know how long a 7RUM barrel lasts.

if i cant open the bolt face up i will get a new bolt, and since this is not a rifle iam going to shoot 100 times a weekend i think barrel life will be just fine, cbryant

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.