Help me decide on a trimmer...

You will like it very much. I had that one for years. Bought a Giraud and have yet to use it. Setup is a pain and the $$$ but I'm sure I'll like it

I ordered the Sinclair version micrometer (#3).

Thanks everyone!

You will like it very much. I had that one for years. Bought a Giraud and have yet to use it. Setup is a pain and the $$$ but I'm sure I'll like it
For 5.56 or other high volume stuff, you will like it.

For precision rifle, I'll bet you use your Wilson. I know I do!

I've owned at least four different case trimmers over my life time and now I will make it number five. Recently I purchased a Lyman Case Trim Express. this is the first motorized trimmer that I have purchased and will be my last one for the following reasons.
It trims to length on Bottleneck Rifle Cases only by locating off a sized and correctly bumped shoulder, hence it will and does trim to a uniform cartridge O.A.L.
It has a variable speed motor with a carbide cutter already installed.
It is supplied with all the standard bushings to accommodate a good caliber range of brass cases hence no additional purchases will be needed.
It breaks down for an easy clean up.
It does not require a table to be bolted on in order to run, however it can be held down by hand on any flat surface due to its four rubber feet.
It is small, lightweight,compact and very easy to make .0005" - .001"adjustments.
It is of a very good build quality,and should last a lifetime.
It will provide more uniformity with your hand loads, with regards to C.O.A.L.
and consistent bullet jump dimensioning.
It can trim up to 15 cases a minute.
Only Negative is that it is a little noisy and only trims bottle neck rifle cases.
This has worked out wonderfully for me without financially breaking the bank !
Please look at the U tube videos for further information and reference.
OBTW I still have two additional Lyman universal cases trimmers that I use for non bottle necked cartridge cases which function just fine.
I find that the quality of these products are excellent !

Just my two cents worth !

Last edited:
I do hundreds of cartridges and I use the Giruad. Very fast and easy to use. It does cost a lot but well worth it.

I agree. If you do a bunch at a time, this is the way to go. I bought the Giraud to do 1000 .223 at a time, but even on 100 pieces it really is fast and easy on the hands.

That's all well and good, but the Giraud was not on the OP's original list of the choices he was considering.

Anyone done SPC on a Giraud? Curious to see if it can hold the kind of tight tols that I expect from the Wilson over a large volume.

That's all well and good, but the Giraud was not on the OP's original list of the choices he was considering.

Anyone done SPC on a Giraud? Curious to see if it can hold the kind of tight tols that I expect from the Wilson over a large volume.

When the OP stated:
[snip]

Which one do you have or would you suggest?
[snip]

I assumed he meant he was open to suggestions. I could be wrong.

I've never loaded SPC but I would expect the Giraud would meet your standards. Mine is very consistent.

Use lock rings on the case holders so you don't have to adjust for a particular cartridge but once.
IMG_0562-800.jpg

I missed that part to include machines largely differing from the Wilson design. That is to say that I expected more like the Forster or an RCBS or Hornady than the Giraud.

What holds the case in the Giraud case holder?

I missed that part to include machines largely differing from the Wilson design. That is to say that I expected more like the Forster or an RCBS or Hornady than the Giraud.

What holds the case in the Giraud case holder?

Like I said, I could be wrong...

You just push it in there until it stops trimming. Then it's done.

I have a Giruad for my bulk ammo, (223, 308 & 30-06). I am going to by a Sinclair Ultimate for my other ammunition.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.