RCBS Rotary Trimmer Help

Aggie1999

I got this trimmer from my uncle's estate when I started reloading several years ago. I keep struggling with keeping finished trim lengths within 0.005" of each other. I think it is related to the fact the the case is pulled away from the cutter as the collet is tightened. I've tried to tighten to where the handle is in the same place every time, but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? If it's just the trimmer, any suggestions on a better one that won't break the bank (less than $200)?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240208_195741.jpg
    20240208_195741.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 63
For well under $200 you can start here. The little inserts are cheap. It's my favorite so far.

I'm thinking of upgrading but that's $1,000 (Giraud or Henderson with caliber/cartride setups).

This looks very repeatable but over $200 with the case holders.

Last edited:
I have one of the old RCBS like you have and struggled with case length variation too.

For an inexpensive trimmer that does a really good job at consistent length check out this model from LEE.

You need one of these:

And one of these for each cartridge:

I also use a Wilson that is very consistent but it's kinda pricey.

I upgraded to the RCBS Trim Pro II some years ago, the lever and plates that hold the case are far superior to your version. With slight modifications to the cutter, or use with the 3 way cutter adaptor, my trimmer will cut every case to exact length. I also made a tray to catch the swarf as it falls for easier clean up.

Cheers.

I upgraded to the RCBS Trim Pro II some years ago, the lever and plates that hold the case are far superior to your version. With slight modifications to the cutter, or use with the 3 way cutter adaptor, my trimmer will cut every case to exact length. I also made a tray to catch the swarf as it falls for easier clean up.

Cheers.
One of my favorite newly learned words right there….swarf! Made me happy to read that MM

I have the RCBS trimmer OP originally asked about, and it too would not give me consistent case length. I'm convinced it had to do with the collets grabbing the base inconsistently.

Then i started using the Lee trimmers. They are inexpensive and they give me a consistent trim length. i drive them with an electric drill and finish each case by chamfering inside and outside with a separate tool. Very happy with the results.

BTW, when I was shooting bench rest, I got a pricey tool that looks like a lathe. Drove it with a drill too. Did a great job, but not any better than the Lee tools.

Well, I guess I can take this as a good news/bad news story. Good news: I'm not just missing a simple step in making that trimmer work better. Bad news: looks like I need to invest in a new tool.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I had same issues with that trimmer so I got the Wilson trimmer. Turned the rcbs trimmer into a neck turner with the kit they sell.

Problem with the collet is if the case head is slightly different diameter the collet will close at different time since it's threaded. So larger head diameter it will tighten sooner and case will be long.

I got this trimmer from my uncle's estate when I started reloading several years ago. I keep struggling with keeping finished trim lengths within 0.005" of each other. I think it is related to the fact the the case is pulled away from the cutter as the collet is tightened. I've tried to tighten to where the handle is in the same place every time, but that doesn't seem to help. Any suggestions? If it's just the trimmer, any suggestions on a better one that won't break the bank (less than $200)?

Thanks.
Use the Lee trimmer, cannot mess up and they are very accurate. Happy shooting.

I will add that my Redding trimmer that also uses a collet needed shims to make it work better. I should dig out and show pics of what I did, but will re-iterate that the RCBS Trim Pro II works very well with the specific plates for each case head size, the numbering system is identical to their shell holders for presses…

Cheers.

I split a Giraud with a friend, recently.
Now we need to set it up and dial in the 3 way heads.
Anybody know if it's possible to rig it up somehow for truing neck ID/OD?