I need a little help finding a case trimmer....

dparks

....for my .30-.378. I never realized how hard it is to find something that should be somehow more simple. Every trimmer I have looked at is either a whole product but w/o the needed components for this particular case or you have to send in a case and wait 4 months until they send you back a case length guide (Lee), or they don't make the necessary components for a .30-.378.

I will greatly appreciate any info on where and how I can purchase a complete system to trim my .30-.378 cases!!

Thanks.

I use a RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer Kit. you will need the #14 shell holder for this thing too. You can go to MidwayUSA - RCBS Trim Pro Manual Case Trimmer Kit or to Sinclair international to purchase this or other similar trimmers. I like mine, not a perfect unit, but it is good imho. Other good ones would be the wilson, redding, forster...

You apparently are using the lee trimmer currently and cant get a hold of the pilot for the wby cartridges? I had similar problems when I stared loading for the WSM in 2005. The other units are much more expensive than the Lee, but they are more universal. good luck.

Wilson has a case holder for the 338/378 Weatherby cases. The Wilson is a very robust, accurate, and easy to use trimmer that does not need a pilot. Midway or Sinclair sells them. Sinclair has a micrometer adjuster for it that is very nice, but not strictly necessary.

Andy

Wilson has a case holder for the 338/378 Weatherby cases. The Wilson is a very robust, accurate, and easy to use trimmer that does not need a pilot. Midway or Sinclair sells them. Sinclair has a micrometer adjuster for it that is very nice, but not strictly necessary.

Andy

Thanks, Andy, I will look into it.

I just wanted to add that I don't load for the wby... I load for the wsm, but I see no reason any of these types of trimmers wouldn't work. happy shopping ;)

Here is a pic of my Wilson. In this picture it has the chamfering tool in it.
The 378 Wby case holder from Sinclair is part #W460H. Also, make sure when ordering the trimmer you get the new "shark fin" for holding the shell holder, it works great.

trimer.jpg

Here is a pic of my Wilson. In this picture it has the chamfering tool in it.
The 378 Wby case holder from Sinclair is part #W460H. Also, make sure when ordering the trimmer you get the new "shark fin" for holding the shell holder, it works great.

Very, very, nice --------looks like mine :) Nice pic. also.

Wilson hands down and don't look back. The setting is fool proof and no chance of misalineing the case in a wobaly collet. If you are asking you must care. Please concider it.

GW.

PS--the mic. is nice but you can always add it latter--and get the shark fin clamp.

Without the micrometer adjustment, the stand, or the shark fin, the base trimmer is < $40, and case holders are ~ $8 ea or less, making it a very cost effective trimmer, if you're on a budget. I just clamp mine in the small bench vise on my reloading bench. If I did not have the vise, a simple wooden base would be easy to make. You just need to elevate it enough so that you can turn the crank. I've had no problems holding the caseholder on the rails with my left hand while turning the crank with my right. Wilson also offers a power adapter so you can use a cordless drill or screwdriver to turn the cutter. Without the micrometer, it takes a little longer to set up the trim length, but it is no less accurate or repeatable.

I really like the walnut/maple(?) base shown above. The maple(?) block is a nice touch, handy for knocking the cases into or out of the case holder.

Andy

my name is Wilson, and i have a Wilson trimmer. but i use a Lee. in my mind much easier, just as accurate if not more accurate. haven't used it sense i got the Lee.
that reminds me, someone wanted to buy it the last time i posted along these lines. who was that?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.