Can't decide on a trimmer....

I'm basically trying to get a better mouse trap. But can't seem to find one that does a better job. I don't want to spen 500$ and get a slower setup that doesn't really trim any more precise....

I'm basically trying to get a better mouse trap. But can't seem to find one that does a better job. I don't want to spen 500$ and get a slower setup that doesn't really trim any more precise....

[ame]https://youtu.be/t1kxh3q-PjI[/ame]

I bought a, "Dead On Case Trimmer" from a fellow in Utah. I think his name is Darren(??). Anyway he sells a unit he makes that you need a 1/2" hand drill or drill press. I bought a drill press just for it. It indexes off the case shoulder. One insert will cover several cases. Inserts are extra. It leaves very little burr and cuts very smooth. It also has scale marks for ease of setting. Fast? I have never timed myself but, I would venture to guess you could do 10 cases per minute easily. Of course with my old fingers I can probably do 6-7 cases per minute. Your mileage will vary!. I honestly don't remember how much I paid for the body and 2 inserts so I won't throw out any figures. For what's it's worth...The tool is a work of art! You can call him at 801-598-2224

Sounds like ma WFT spinoff. You can chuck the WFT in a drill press (vertically) as well.

As a rule I don't trim (as I explained in an earlier post) but when I do, I have one of my employees do it.... It's 'makework' on a slow day.....lol

My trimming consists of trimming OFB that I buy in bulk for plinking....

Over the years I have owned several case length trimmers that each ran well over $100 in cost. Each of them became frustrating to me for various reasons. I sold my most recent unit just last month, the Wilson version with Sinclair's nice stand. It needed holders for some of the different cases I load for. I think I had about 5 in total that I had to buy. I had way over $200 in that setup.

Last year I started using the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep Center System.

This is definitely the best answer for me. Very easy to use, uniform lengths within my own standards. I think I remember trimming to length about 3 cases per minute - including the primer pocket uniforming and case mouth chamfer process.

From what I can see so far, I won't be needing any added holders with this one. Around $140.

I shipped my own unit to one of our writers who is doing a review of it. We'll publish it soon.

CLICK TO ENLARGE THE IMAGES

Attachments

• Franklin-trimmer.jpg
    Franklin-trimmer.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Franklin-trimmer-text.jpg
    Franklin-trimmer-text.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Over the years I have owned several case length trimmers that each ran well over $100 in cost. Each of them became frustrating to me for various reasons. I sold my most recent unit just last month, the Wilson version with Sinclair's nice stand. It needed holders for some of the different cases I load for. I think I had about 5 in total that I had to buy. I had way over $200 in that setup.

Last year I started using the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep Center System.

This is definitely the best answer for me. Very easy to use, uniform lengths within my own standards. I think I remember trimming to length about 3 cases per minute.

From what I can see so far, I won't be needing any added holders with this one. Around $140.

I shipped my own unit to one of our writers who is doing a review of it. We'll publish it soon.

Len: Next thing you'll be getting is the FA rotary tumbler with stainless media. For my money it's the best alternative both in useability and price and no, you can't borrow mine....lol

I've been considering the FA handheld primer remover tool but haven't got one yer.

This is definitely the best answer for me. Very easy to use, uniform lengths within my own standards. I think I remember trimming to length about 3 cases per minute.

Looking forward to the review. It's the one unit that I keep looking at. FA seems to be making some usable stuff. I'm just waiting for them to come out with a decent press..... I can see you are relating to my frustration. I don't want to have buyers regret....

gohring - it's all about perceived value. I can afford anything out there but I don't buy anything that doesn't represent good value to me. I'm the guy using the Lee Case Length Gauge and the Lyman E-ZEE trim.

I like my time at the reloading bench and I like precision. I'm not lazy and I'm not in a rush and I know how to extract the best utility from the equipment I have.

gohring - it's all about perceived value. I can afford anything out there but I don't buy anything that doesn't represent good value to me. I'm the guy using the Lee Case Length Gauge and the Lyman E-ZEE trim.

I like my time at the reloading bench and I like precision. I'm not lazy and I'm not in a rush and I know how to extract the best utility from the equipment I have.

That's how I feel about it as well...

Looking forward to the review. It's the one unit that I keep looking at. FA seems to be making some usable stuff. I'm just waiting for them to come out with a decent press..... I can see you are relating to my frustration. I don't want to have buyers regret....

I looked at some of their actual reloading tools.... and passed, but then I don't expect to get a Harrell quality culver powder measure for 59 bucks either.....

I know my FA rotary tumbler is well thought out and operation is very user friendly, much more than the Thumlers Model B, plus it holds more cases and solution.

Pretty hard to beat the tried and true single stage presses from the big 4, other than price maybe.

I looked at some of their actual reloading tools.... and passed, but then I don't expect to get a Harrell quality culver powder measure for 59 bucks either.....

I know my FA rotary tumbler is well thought out and operation is very user friendly, much more than the Thumlers Model B, plus it holds more cases and solution.

Pretty hard to beat the tried and true single stage presses from the big 4, other than price maybe.

Yea I agree, I have a CO-AX, A Hornady Lock-n-Load single stage and a Rock Chucker. I don't need another press, I was just anxious to see what it will look like.... It's not if but when.... Lol

Honestly, I have some pretty nice equipment that until recently I had never used it's abilities. I'm about 3/4 into my new rifle and going from 6.5-284 to 6-284 cases has taught me to really appreciate the quality I paid for. Much more relaxing time at the bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.