Can't decide on a trimmer....

gohring3006

Good evening everyone, I have been beating my head off the wall and can't decide on spending the +\- $100.00 for a case trimmer. I use the the Lee case length guage and lock stud and cutter head for each cartridge I reload. I have read mixed reviews on all of the trimmers. The Worlds Finest Trimmer seems promising, with the exception of the $70.00ish dollars apiece. I have 6 rifle and 5 pistol cartridges I reload for... I would much rather have a universal multi cal trimmer. What are you guys using? My main decision maker is precision and speed of trimming. I can't seem to talk myself into spending the money on one. I can't see any being much quicker or more precise, because of the variances in case rim thickness and how most of the universal trimmers attach the case....
Thanks

I hear ya. When my Lee gauges started wearing out the pins I migrated to the Lyman E-ZEE trim. Similar to the Lee system but more robust. I've been very happy with it but the selection of cartridges is not as great as Lee's.

I would like to have a nice stand alone unit. But the Lee setup works well, and the price...... I just don't know what I would be gaining...

I use the Lee Case Length Gauges also. I like them. I have the universal head that I chuck in a cordless drill.

1) Trim with the gauge and cutter.
2) Chamfer
3) Polish the case with some 000 steel wool
4) Pick up another case.

I do it over a 8x12 baking pan that holds the tools and collects the shavings. I haven't seen anything that I think could be more efficient.

Good evening everyone, I have been beating my head off the wall and can't decide on spending the +\- $100.00 for a case trimmer. I use the the Lee case length guage and lock stud and cutter head for each cartridge I reload. I have read mixed reviews on all of the trimmers. The Worlds Finest Trimmer seems promising, with the exception of the $70.00ish dollars apiece. I have 6 rifle and 5 pistol cartridges I reload for... I would much rather have a universal multi cal trimmer. What are you guys using? My main decision maker is precision and speed of trimming. I can't seem to talk myself into spending the money on one. I can't see any being much quicker or more precise, because of the variances in case rim thickness and how most of the universal trimmers attach the case....
Thanks

I have a WFT. The trimmer body is a one time purchase. The inserts that fit the body and allow different calibers to be trimmed are inexpensive and I like the fact that the case locates on the shoulder datum, not the rim.

I did change out the supplied 2 flute end mill for a 4 flute centercutting end mill (available anywhere tooling is sold ((Like Enco or MSC) for a couple bucks)). The 4 flute renders a better cut.

I don't length trim much anymore, having pulled the expander balls from my Whidden dies so the brass don't get excessively worked and 'flow', causing the case to lengthen.

From an accuracy standpoint, the WFT or the more expensive datum trimmer is they way to go in my opinion. I sold my lathe type trimmer a while ago. No need to keep it.

If you own a drill press or vertical mill (preferrably), Sinclair offers a dandy jig that clamps to the table and the cutter chucks in either a collet or a drill chuck and case length is set with the spindle stop. You need a well made drillpress or a vertical mill with no spindle runout to use it properly, Chinese clones don't work, too sloppy.

Pretty happy with the WFT. Case trimming will always be one of those operations that is a PITA no matter what method you use....

I have a WFT. The trimmer body is a one time purchase. The inserts that fit the body and allow different calibers to be trimmed are inexpensive and I like the fact that the case locates on the shoulder datum, not the rim.

I did change out the supplied 2 flute end mill for a 4 flute centercutting end mill (available anywhere tooling is sold ((Like Enco or MSC) for a couple bucks)). The 4 flute renders a better cut.

I don't length trim much anymore, having pulled the expander balls from my Whidden dies so the brass don't get excessively worked and 'flow', causing the case to lengthen.

From an accuracy standpoint, the WFT or the more expensive datum trimmer is they way to go in my opinion. I sold my lathe type trimmer a while ago. No need to keep it.

If you own a drill press or vertical mill (preferrably), Sinclair offers a dandy jig that clamps to the table and the cutter chucks in either a collet or a drill chuck and case length is set with the spindle stop. You need a well made drillpress or a vertical mill with no spindle runout to use it properly, Chinese clones don't work, too sloppy.

Pretty happy with the WFT. Case trimming will always be one of those operations that is a PITA no matter what method you use....
This is good info thanks..... I see Forester offers a drill press setup.... But after reading you post, my drill press is about 30 years old and probably wouldn't trust it for runout....

This is good info thanks..... I see Forester offers a drill press setup.... But after reading you post, my drill press is about 30 years old and probably wouldn't trust it for runout....

The only caveat with the WFT is you need an already trimmed to length case to set it. I use a new unfired case (I keep various new, unfired cases in a box just for that).

To use, you insert the appropriate caliber insert in the body (it has an 'O' ring attached to the insert that keeps the insert in the body). Loosen the 2 setscrews that secure the end mill and insert a new unfired (or correct length case) and adjust the mill to contact the case mouth while you hold the case firmly in the insert. When the cutter contacts the mouth lightly, tighten the setscrews and you are 'good to go'.

I chuck mine in one of the shop lathes but a drill motor works too.

The body has holes that allow the brass shavings to come out (wear safety glasses anyway, flying brass shavings aren't good in the eyes..) I stop and clean the insert with compressed air ocasionally as the shavings tend to deposit on the insert datum. That's it far as using. Way better than cranking a trim lathe handle and I get good repeatability across any number of trimmed cases, usually within +- 0.003.

You'll still need to deburr the case mouth (something the more expensive trimmers does but I VLD ream my mouths anyway so that's not a deal breaker.

The other datum locating trimmer is nice, but comes at an increased cost and their cutters are proprietary, that is, only they have them. The WFT takes an off the shelf milling cutter so exchanging cutters is cheap... I prefer that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.