Can't decide on a trimmer....

I gave up on the idea on SPEED and PRECISION in 1 device. I use 1 device for long range rifle trimming and a separate device for 223.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Frankfort Arsenal case prep center. I adore mine and have purchased many tool heads just for S&G's to try in it for fun and curiosity. It's relatively low noise and spins at a low (but torque'y) speed. It's perfect for many things and you will never regret the purchase. I am looking forward to Len's write up on it however. I have watched every YT video on the thing and I cannot get it to trim to exact lengths. You can definitely get close enough to use it for 223 though! It just seems to me that the ending case length is 100% dependent on how hard I push on the case while trimming. I can "try" to push each case the same, but it doesn't always work out as exact as I like to see.

I was lucky and last summer I picked up a LE Wilson trimmer with the table stand for $20 at an estate sale.

Both trimmers are fantastic in their own way. But I am grateful to have both!

I don't have my unit here now to double check my own results but how little variance are you wanting to achieve?

I know some variance is inevitable. I would be happy with .06 or less... But I know more variance works because I have experienced it firsthand.... Lol
I haven't really measured my Lee results for a while now... It's hard to say where they're at....

Last edited:
I love estate sales myself...

Where I got my pristine unfired Husqvarna (Smith and Wesson imported) 308 last summer. What a stick. Made in the 60's back when everything was built by hand.

I got it unfired with preservative in the barrel. Hand lapped receiver, engine turned bolt, walnut Monte-Carlo stock and a clunky trigger that will get changed this summer.

Likes Sierra Game Kings in Federal match Brass with a moderate load..... Don't want to strain that old action, but it shoots sub moa at 200 and thats fine with me.

On the subject of case trimming, I need to check out the FA case prep unit myself. You can't have enough toys....

I know some variance is inevitable. I would be happy with .06 or less... But I know more variance works because I have experienced it firsthand.... Lol
I haven't really measured my Lee results for a while now... It's hard to say where they're at....

check out this for variance

[ame]https://youtu.be/QuN_gDM6Tak?t=404[/ame]

And the Giraud is 5 times as much as the Hornady or 10 times as much as the FA unit.

It's all economy of scale and distills down to how large your wallet is. Interestingly, the WFT and the Giraud both index on the shoulder but the WFT is appreciably cheaper, but then, you supply the motor in a handrill.

Personally speaking I still think we all should have a 'designated trimmer' and let one person do all the trimming and pay them of course.,,,, Not me, I hate trimming.

I see the video, in the background has a Dandy Omega powder trickler.... I have one but the automated version and it's the cat's meow but that's another story and not on this thread. It's a wallet thing too.....:D

And the Giraud is 5 times as much as the Hornady or 10 times as much as the FA unit.

It's all economy of scale and distills down to how large your wallet is. Interestingly, the WFT and the Giraud both index on the shoulder but the WFT is appreciably cheaper, but then, you supply the motor in a handrill.

Personally speaking I still think we all should have a 'designated trimmer' and let one person do all the trimming and pay them of course.,,,, Not me, I hate trimming.

I see the video, in the background has a Dandy Omega powder trickler.... I have one but the automated version and it's the cat's meow but that's another story and not on this thread. It's a wallet thing too.....:D
I kinda boils down to cost reward. I beginning to see.... How much more money do I want to spend to trim my brass that will be the same length as the ones trimmed with my Lee setup..

So far the FA is the one I'm considering. Not sure if it's going to be "better" than the Lee. But I'm not out much if it isn't....

the hornady is $400 and the Giraud is $460

WFT is $75 and the Giraud tri way trimmer is $100

I have the Giraud annealer too. much simpler and consistent then all these other methods I read about. I want to make sure I am doing it right. It is only $470. I think it is easily worth it. I anneal every 3 firings now and there is nothing to it. Set it and forget it.

I have the Omega trickler. Love it. I have an old scott parker tuned Ohaus 10/10 I have thought about setting up with the one you have.

I have been dropping charges with a Lee perfect powder measure and trickling on my Gempro. Been wanting a Harrell powder measure for some time. My birthday is about a week away. I have a Harrell BR premium powder measure on the way. I know it will be no more accurate than the lee but those bearing will be smooth and it sure is pretty.

the hornady is $400 and the Giraud is $460

WFT is $75 and the Giraud tri way trimmer is $100

I have the Giraud annealer too. much simpler and consistent then all these other methods I read about. I want to make sure I am doing it right. It is only $470. I think it is easily worth it. I anneal every 3 firings now and there is nothing to it. Set it and forget it.

I have the Omega trickler. Love it. I have an old scott parker tuned Ohaus 10/10 I have thought about setting up with the one you have.

I have been dropping charges with a Lee perfect powder measure and trickling on my Gempro. Been wanting a Harrell powder measure for some time. My birthday is about a week away. I have a Harrell BR premium powder measure on the way. I know it will be no more accurate than the lee but those bearing will be smooth and it sure is pretty.

The trimmer head on the Giraud might be 100 bucks but the whole shebang isn't I'm sure. I know them well enough to know that his stuff is very pricey.

Annealeze is half the Giraud unit and works on the same principle exactly. I'm considering one btw.

The WFT is built around the same design as the Giraud without the motor drive, indexes on the shoulder but uses a stock, off the shelf end mill so you still have to chamfer the case nouth and deburr.

That brings me to a point, and that point is, just like bullet seating, prevailing torque (in this case pressure exerted on the case as it engages the cutter) will cause variance in the length of cut, even if you use the shoulder as an index point, can't get around that. The tolerance will be tighter, but dead nutz every time.... ain't happening. If you remove the human factor and use a constant pressure device, then maybe.

I already have a Harrell and you'll like it. It's pretty and cuts extruded rod powder like a champ (aka: Varget).

Never priced a Hornday unit, no need for one. I can chuck all the prep tools I need in a collet on one of the shop lathes. There are 4 in the shop so I have 4 collet noses to use...if I want to.

I sure like the Omega, I especially like the automatic feed for pistol rounds where you only load a few grains. I don't bother throwing pistol charges anymore, I use the Omega to load the scale pan.

A Harrell is like owning Swaroviski optics, expensive, but oh so nice....:D

...and it's American made too.

I did a review of the Omega on the Smith and Wesson pistol forum if you care to look.

The trimmer head on the Giraud might be 100 bucks but the whole shebang isn't I'm sure. I know them well enough to know that his stuff is very pricey.

Annealeze is half the Giraud unit and works on the same principle exactly. I'm considering one btw.

The WFT is built around the same design as the Giraud without the motor drive, indexes on the shoulder but uses a stock, off the shelf end mill so you still have to chamfer the case nouth and deburr.

That brings me to a point, and that point is, just like bullet seating, prevailing torque (in this case pressure exerted on the case as it engages the cutter) will cause variance in the length of cut, even if you use the shoulder as an index point, can't get around that. The tolerance will be tighter, but dead nutz every time.... ain't happening. If you remove the human factor and use a constant pressure device, then maybe.

I already have a Harrell and you'll like it. It's pretty and cuts extruded rod powder like a champ (aka: Varget).

Never priced a Hornday unit, no need for one. I can chuck all the prep tools I need in a collet on one of the shop lathes. There are 4 in the shop so I have 4 collet noses to use...if I want to.

I sure like the Omega, I especially like the automatic feed for pistol rounds where you only load a few grains. I don't bother throwing pistol charges anymore, I use the Omega to load the scale pan.

A Harrell is like owning Swaroviski optics, expensive, but oh so nice....:D

...and it's American made too.

I did a review of the Omega on the Smith and Wesson pistol forum if you care to look.

actually the Giraud tri trim is just like your WFT except it chamfers and deburs. It is what I do for my high volume cartridges. It is like everything else. You learn the feel and repeat it the same way with the same pressure and you get very repeatable results. Actually you can hear and feel when the case is trimmed

Tri%20Way%202.jpg

lots of do it yourself annealers modeled after the Giraud annealer. I really like it. Pretty much know my settings for different cartridges but I always run three with templaq at the start anyway.

everyone isn't lucky enough to have access to a machine shop. I know I would love to be able to build my own bolt action rifles. the problem would be what to do with them all.

I always fine it interesting that Giraud applies for patents on all his offerings, even though there are so many close copies....

My take on a patent (I happen to hold 2 on items not related to this venue is): A patent is only worth the paper it's written on. The true value of any tool is how many copies the competition can sell. Patents are all about making attorney's rich. Competition always breeds innovation. I'm a student of that philosophy.

Just because I own a shop don't mean I'd build rifles (I don't and don't want to). Never interested me and there are too many qualified shops . smiths close by anyway. Besides, I already have too many...lol

Any tool that depends on manual dexterity to achieve an end result will also have a tolerance variance dependent on the input of force applied, reloading presses included.

Interesting how the Giraud and the WFT almost look the same and operate on the same principles, just like the Annealeze and the Giraud annealer.

Again, the Girausd is more expensive in both cases and I already possess a WFT.

You'll like the Harrell. It's a fine example of American craftsmanship with a price point to go along with it. Like the Omega. Not cheap but a great example of American innovation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.