Help hunting rifle for brother

arthurj

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some help with picking out a good stainless sythetic hunting rifle for my brother. This needs to be a 400 yard whitetail rifle. I haven't really decided on caliber, maybe a 7-08,308, something along those lines(basically whatever caliber I want to play around with!). I am really looking for input on rifles rather than caliber. I of course would love to get him a sako 75 ss, but at roughly 1200$ that may be out of the question. What (sporter weight) rifles have you had experience with that are good out of the box shooters? Has anyone owned a rem700xcr? Any suggestions?

My suggestion for an out-of-the-box factory rifle would be a savage of whatever model he would enjoy. These rifles are notoriously accurate. Their only shortfall, the trigger, has been fixed with the accutrigger update. Secondly I would go for a remington. Infinite aftermarket parts and the ability to customize it at random give it a great draw. I own a few of each, so I choose depending on need. All my customs are remington, all my bone stock field rifles are savages.
savage weather warrior
Something like this will be incredibly accurate when properly broken in.

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion for an out-of-the-box factory rifle would be a savage of whatever model he would enjoy. These rifles are notoriously accurate. Their only shortfall, the trigger, has been fixed with the accutrigger update. savage weather warrior
Something like this will be incredibly accurate when properly broken in.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES YES AND YES!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys, I am going give the savage some serious thought.
Thanks Roy, but I am afraid I couldn't put him through the wrath of the 7ultra! I may be a wimp but I had one in a sendero that beat me to pieces! I got several cases of split brow, and usually my first shot of the day I would forget to grip it hard enough and the bolt would rip my knuckle open!
I would force the remington on him if I knew he would want to customize it later on, but I am not thinking he will be too worried about that. He doesn't have the "addiction" like I have. He's mainly a hunter, not a shooter.

If he cannot get a Sako get the next best thing a Tikka. Another good one would be the new Remington SPS. Savage is ok but there are better rifles out there for almost the same price.

I agree with dakor. There are better rifles out there then a savage at roughly the same price, maybe 100 bux more. Tikka lites are only about $500 and you get a MOA guarantee, not that means a whole lot, but they also have a great trigger, his came at 3 lbs and is adjustable down to 2. The barrel is totally free floated. It has a clip fed magazine. I must have the sole one to get a crappy savage, I swear. I got one in a 270 WSM roughly 1 year ago. It was definately a "2 shot" grouper. I spent a lot of money and time trying to find a good load for that piecer and I never did. So I dont really like savages, sorry. My dad bought one shortly after I sold mine and the stupid thing would never hold a base on right. First the holes were drilled off center, then he took that one back and then the studs where you put the swivels and sling, well they were loose as a goose. Never did shoot that savage. I woulda loved to, but he was not impressed with it, he took it back and got a winchester shadow in 270 WSM which he still has. Shoots great with a 140g sst. We wont even look at another savage, there made so cheap, just cant say much more about them then that.

Heck, I've seem weatherby's with the recievers tapped out-of-line. Every production gun maker makes a stinker every so often, I've got one in my safe(ruger) My affinity for the savage has come after many of their rifles and others have graced my bench. Not just one experience. A lot of manufacturers make guns in your price range. I chose to hang a $1200 chunk of glass on mine because it deserves it! that should tell you something....hehe

TIKKA! Nice fit, feel, and finish. Nice trigger! Lightweight and handy. CZ's are nice too. Nice feel. Remington sps is a hell of a deal. Don't quite like the look.

Thanks guys, this is a hard choice. I've read a lot of good things about the tikka, but some say there is something thats kind of cheap about the bolt? Maybe there is plastic or something on it that can break off? I am having a hard time deciding if I should just get the remington, just in case he ever wants to customize it. Well, I've got about a month to figure it out.

I believe the sleeve on the Tikka is plastic----hence the super slick action--- but I have Never ever seen anything go bad with it. Very very accurate and great adj trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.