Multiple loads for hunting rifle

jsmitt6

I just finished my 338 Sherman Mega and am thinking of having a two load rifle.. Take both loads out hunting and have both easily and readily available for the shots I would take. Hear me out, normally I abide by the KISS method but I think it could useful.. On all of my hunting rifles I have a DOPE chart printed and taped on, so this rifle would have two charts in completely different colors on different sides of the stock to differentiate between the two.

I am wanting to shoot the 250 Bergers as well as the 246 Hammer Hunter or 255 gr Shock Hammer. Im hoping that I could load them close enough that they are either in the same POI or darn near close..

For shots under the 500 yards, shoot the Hammer. Proven killing bullet, nice impact velocities, etc.
For shots over 500 yards, shoot the Berger. Its accurate, great at longer ranges, and a great track record of long range kills.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

I certainly agree with your one gun idea! I've been a "one gun hunter" since Spring of 1990. I want total, absolute familiarity with my rifle.

As for you bullet scenario…..I can't offer anything! I'm also a "one bullet" hunter…..but, my personal limit is 600 yards and I still have good velocity (for my mono) at that range for proper expansion! memtb

I have two loads for most of my deer rifles. I hunt in an area that "requests" the use of non-lead projectiles due to a good population of California Condors. So, I have a mono load for "closer" shots (out to 500ish) and a "longer range" load with a good cup and core (usually a Berger) for shots past 500.
I work them up so POI at 100 is close. I really don't care much about elevation differences as long as windage is the same. No big deal if the mono is a 150 yard zero and the Berger is a 200 zero. As long as my LRF has both loads in there, I can swap profiles as needed.

I have two loads for most of my deer rifles. I hunt in an area that "requests" the use of non-lead projectiles due to a good population of California Condors. So, I have a mono load for "closer" shots (out to 500ish) and a "longer range" load with a good cup and core (usually a Berger) for shots past 500.
I work them up so POI at 100 is close. I really don't care much about elevation differences as long as windage is the same. No big deal if the mono is a 150 yard zero and the Berger is a 200 zero. As long as my LRF has both loads in there, I can swap profiles as needed.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Completely agree about must have the same windage but can vary on elevation. Just thinking it would be a cool idea and I'm glad someone with your experience does this successfully. Thanks for chiming in

I got on the highest BC heaviest for the caliber kick and I found that I was getting blow throughs on classic broadside shots close in which were almost always the hunting case. They were dead on their feet and could run off with very little exit damage. No blood trail to speak of and I had to look for them. Deer and pigs. So I went to middle weight for sub 200 yards and carry the high BC heavies for the long shots. 7stw custom 28 inch with Barnes TTSX 140's and 195 or 200 grain for the long shots. Sight in the 140's for 200 Zero and then switch to the heavies and see where they printed out to 600. All I had to do is dial in the elevation clicks.

I got on the highest BC heaviest for the caliber kick and I found that I was getting blow throughs on classic broadside shots close in which were almost always the hunting case. They were dead on their feet and could run off with very little exit damage. No blood trail to speak of and I had to look for them. Deer and pigs. So I went to middle weight for sub 200 yards and carry the high BC heavies for the long shots. 7stw custom 28 inch with Barnes TTSX 140's and 195 or 200 grain for the long shots. Sight in the 140's for 200 Zero and then switch to the heavies and see where they printed out to 600. All I had to do is dial in the elevation clicks.
This is exactly where my train of thought was taking me. As long as I can account for any elevation deviation, it shouldn't be too hard at all.

I have two loads for all my hunting rifles too. One non-lead and one high BC cup and core for longer shots. I've been pairing Hammers and ELDMs recently. However I have yet to take them both on a hunt. I generally choose one for the hunt based on my expectations of the hunt, make sure my zero is good then practice with that load. I'd love to get to the point where I can take both to have more flexibility but haven't gotten there quite yet.

Why not just the Berger? The Mega isn't going to push it fast enough to fail is it?
I don't think so, it's going 2850 right now. So definitely not too fast. Honestly, I had a bad experience with the Berger (probably a fluke and it will never be re-created) and like the idea of having one shorter range bullet that is solid and can punch through anything and then a long range bullet that will expand down to slower velocities.

I'm probably making this too complicated, but I don't have any projects going on right now and think this could be a fun challenge.