Multiple loads for hunting rifle

I was a KISS guy until I started playing with hammer bullets. I have loads for 100 124, 151, 178 and and 196 grain bullets for my 300WM. I have loads for 90, 120, 140, 143 and 155 in my 7 STW.
And they all shoot at similar points of impact?
I have not tried that with Hammers yet but it's on the list of things to do now.

Murphy would eat me alive if I tried this! 😆 🤪

Yep, that would be me. I do develop multiple loads for a barrel, but when I go to the field, all thoughts and focus is around one bullet/load. Trying to adapt two different bullets in the field with different velocities/BC would be a Hail Mary for me! I tried this in my 7 Mag and my 7 STW at 600 yards, I came away shaking my head and saying, "What the heck was I thinking?"

Yep, that would be me. I do develop multiple loads for a barrel, but when I go to the field, all thoughts and focus is around one bullet/load. Trying to adapt two different bullets in the field with different velocities/BC would be a Hail Mary for me! I tried this in my 7 Mag and my 7 STW at 600 yards, I came away shaking my head and saying, "What the heck was I thinking?"
I'm sure it will end up disastrous but i keep getting the idea stuck in my head. I did it with my old 338ss, had the 225 AB and 250 Bergers shoot same POI. Never had the chance to test out the theory though. Guess we will see what happens!

Various loads will "look" good enough on point of impact at 100 yds, but differences really start showing their ugly head around 300-400 yards with 600 showing different bullets/loads being in different worlds relating to drop and Point of Impact.

The distance would be shooting would be a major deciding factor.

In your mind, you have already ruled out Berger, go with your gut.

My son, is putting a New, 7 PRC Proof Barrel on a Tikka action and is going to "Try" shooting, the 180 gr. ELD-M's for Long Distance Elk shots and wants to use, the much TOUGHER 175 gr. ELD-X's to 300 Yards and,.. IN !
The M's ARE,. a "Fragile" Bullet, very Accurate and have an Awesome BC,.. but they have, Thin Jackets and will ruin, a Lot of Meat, up close at Hugh Velocity !
I wish he'd have gone with, 175 gr Berger Elite's or, 180 Hybrids to,.. KISS !
AND,.. I wish him,.. Luck !

Last edited:
I'm sure it will end up disastrous but i keep getting the idea stuck in my head. I did it with my old 338ss, had the 225 AB and 250 Bergers shoot same POI. Never had the chance to test out the theory though. Guess we will see what happens!
jsmitt6 if you never try it you will always have that question in the back of your mind.
Give it a whirl but give a report to all on the forum of the results,then and only then you will know the answer for sure!
Your loads,your rifle and bullets may shoot differently than others so let it fly brother!

I pick a bullet before I order the barrel and I order enough of that bullet and powder to burn the barrel so I don' have to change anything.

I thought about it with a 215 Berger once with my Ruger with the shorter mag box. Long load/single shot and fill the magazine with shorter loaded ones for when I was walking in. I realized even at the reduced velocity of the shorter rounds, it still wasn't giving up enough to matter.

In this case, zero with your long range Berger, and stuff the mag with the Hammers. Any oppourtunity to sset up and take a shot, use the Berger. Quick woods type shooting, use the Hammer.

For my Sherman I am working with the 213gr Hammer. For the realistic velocity I am getting with the Berger and the Hammer, I am only losing about 50-75 yards to the Berger, based on my app. Not enough for me to care about. If it was a few hundred, maybe worth considering. Berger doesn't shoot well in it so that was the easy choice.

And they all shoot at similar points of impact?
I have not tried that with Hammers yet but it's on the list of things to do now.
No. I re-zero and doublecheck drops when I change bullets. Not a lot difference with changing barrels in a switch barrel set up. I think you will enjoy the hammers. Easiest bullet if ever loaded.