Looking for help on prairie dog hunting rifles

I've shot sod puppies with everthing from 17 HMR up to 257 Bee, it has been my experience that the 204 Ruger is the best all around sod puppy medicine there is. I have 2 of them both AR15 DPMS 24" bull barrel the oldest with over 2K rounds down the tube the newest with a couple hundred down the tube. The old one still shoots nickle size groups at 100 and the new groups a little smaller. I've shot 32 grain and 40 grain factory loads and they shoot just fine out of both, but they really shine with the 39 Gr Sierra handloads. No matter what anyone says the wind will push any bullet out at 300 yds and shooting and hitting sod puppies at 300 yds is not the simplest thing to accomplish.
Good shooting, sod puppies are a blast to plaster.

It looks like you have 22 and down covered well. Id get something a bit bigger. 243, 6 creedmoor, or if you want to get real jazzy, I always though a 25-06 with light bullets would be a fun varmint gun. If its windy a bit of bullet weight could help you there too.

I posted previously that a rancher didn't have enough shooters one year and the pdogs had to be poisoned by exterminators@ the cost of a crazy figure of $$ 17000.00!!! but that doesn't kill everyone.now the ranch was many thousands of acres,cattle step in pdog holes break a leg&lost money!!also over population out there can be wipped out by the fleas on pdogs carrying a virus plague like rats!!! so many predators eat the pdog carcass after shoots.I have seen eagles,coyotes.fox, and always a badger lives nearby who eats them like corn on the cob!! Dskiper

My dad and I have shot prairie dogs for 6 consecutive years now and every year we make a list of what we need to get for the next year. So it seems like you can use more stuff for the trip. We shoot 17hmr, 17wsm, 223, 204, 22-250 and 220 swift. I would say the 204 is probably my favorite in moderate winds and 22-250 after that. Definitely start out with your 17's at first for your closer shots then start burning up the 204 and just keep switching out guns before you melt them down. A good swivel shooting bench, sun screen, jerky, decent binoculars and you guys will have a blast. We probably shoot 300-400 rounds on good days. 204 still has both our longest shot and is an absolute blast to shoot. All rifles but rimfires are remington 700's. Have fun and it will be a trip you will always remember.

What terrific advice and insights from all these experienced PD hunters!

I'll offer you a different, inexperienced perspective. I wanted to do a PD hunt for decades, never had the chance. My adult son and I did a 3-day hunt just before covid erupted. I guarantee that you and your son, his friends and dads will remember this for a lifetime!
We shot maybe 500-600 rounds in 3 days, with 222mag and 6mm Rem. These are just old-fashioned varmint rifles, a M700 and a Mauser varmint/sporter, with good 6-24X scopes. We had a guide, and he was able to dope the wind and give us ranges. The hits were everywhere from 50yd to over 350 yds, and we were far more successful/accurate than I ever expected to be. My son bagged 81 in our last half-day! The wind was a real factor, shooting 40gr 22's and 58gr 6mm's. Next time I would load 55's and 75's, maybe even 87's. knowing the range and wind is far more important than flat trajectories. Spotting for one another, we both got the hang of it, but without the guide, I would take a reliable range finder and Kestral.

The spectacular hits included numerous doubles and a few triples! Terrific action, with maybe 2 moves each day to fresh towns. I had also taken an M1A and a 357 lever action, but we did not shoot 50 rounds from those. I really liked the 6mm for this work, next time I'm confident we could hit a few at 400 and beyond. I would hesitate to shoot anything with more recoil; by the end of the day I was preferring the 222mag (much like a 223 for those unfamiliar...).

Where we were, the dogs were not spooked by the unsuppressed noise nor by our presence, outside of 200-250 yds, and even when they hid down the holes, they came back up by the time the barrels were cooling.

Enjoy! Whatever you choose to shoot, it will be more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

Thanks for everyone's reply. Much appreciated info. As I figured, responses would be all over the map. This caliber sucks while somebody said its the best caliber ever invented. Don't waste your money on this brand of rifle, while others shoot sub MOA with said rifle.
Don't show up with a AR style gun vs me and my buddies showed up with AR's on our first hunt, and we had the best time ever...

Again, the responses are overwhelming and I have so much data to try and research in the next 30 days, because finding guns here in Michigan in any of these calibers is a PITA. I need to select a couple guns to buy, find what ammo said guns like, and then get more and more range time. Its nice one of the dads going with us has property in Upper Lower Michigan so he has a range to 300 yards we can practice on

Hard to know who to listen to.

My resume is easy to find on YouTube, Instagram, and in my articles. 😉

If you'd like some references, they can be provided.

Last edited:
That's how we gauge a good set. "Hang time and splatter factor". I guided antelope hunters East of Roswell NM for 12 years and I always told the guys to bring a 223. Those that shot pds all agreed it sure made shooting antelope much easier.

Hard to know who to listen to.

My resume is easy to find on YouTube, Instagram, and in my articles. 😉

If you'd like to me references, they can be provided.
What are your links to youtube? Would enjoy seeing them. Searched Orkan youtube and got nothing
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's reply. Much appreciated info. As I figured, responses would be all over the map. This caliber sucks while somebody said its the best caliber ever invented. Don't waste your money on this brand of rifle, while others shoot sub MOA with said rifle.
Don't show up with a AR style gun vs me and my buddies showed up with AR's on our first hunt, and we had the best time ever...

Again, the responses are overwhelming and I have so much data to try and research in the next 30 days, because finding guns here in Michigan in any of these calibers is a PITA. I need to select a couple guns to buy, find what ammo said guns like, and then get more and more range time. Its nice one of the dads going with us has property in Upper Lower Michigan so he has a range to 300 yards we can practice on
Dude don't let it over whelm you. Whatever you're going to take I'm sure you'll have fun. Take whatever you think you like to shoot. We all have our different tastes in firearms and different skill sets. Match hollowpoints will kill stuff, I find polymer tip bullets are more explosive. But there are plenty of good bullets out there. All that matters is it accurate in your rifle. Get some good binos and rangefinders and help spot and range dogs for each other. Good firearms are important but the company is the what makes the trip fun. so don't stress too much. Find ammo, pick your firearms, and just have fun. Some might disagree but imo the firearms are secondary.

Prarrie Dogs – The 204 and 223 reign supreme here. Use med-heavy bullets, near max velocity, and suppressors if possible. Good scopes. 100-350 yds. Use a very low, camoed seat/bench, and bring plenty of ammo! Don't forget water, snacks, and a pottie. For longer distance I use a 243 with 80-87gn bullets, and for 50-125 yds I use my 22lr Rem 540. Get ready to have lots of fun!