Multiple loads for hunting rifle

I'm sure it will end up disastrous but i keep getting the idea stuck in my head. I did it with my old 338ss, had the 225 AB and 250 Bergers shoot same POI. Never had the chance to test out the theory though. Guess we will see what happens!

I had a friend that tried the 2 or 3 bullet scenario…..It was a disaster!!! memtb

jsmitt6 if you never try it you will always have that question in the back of your mind.
Give it a whirl but give a report to all on the forum of the results,then and only then you will know the answer for sure!
Your loads,your rifle and bullets may shoot differently than others so let it fly brother!
Going to try it out this year. I have a 3rd season deer and elk tag in CO as well as a pronghorn tag in Utah to try this theory out on. I'll definitely keep this updated

Would love to hear how it didn't work out.

It's been many years ago….so I'm "fuzzy" on the details!

It seems that there were different POI, unlike what your trying to do! I believe that he got a bit excited , either used the wrong bullet, or the wrong aim point for that bullet! Once he had a wounded elk, all common sense and plans "went out the window"……it turned into a "genuine Mongolian CF" !

I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the fiasco! memtb

It's been many years ago….so I'm "fuzzy" on the details!

It seems that there were different POI, unlike what your trying to do! I believe that he got a bit excited , either used the wrong bullet, or the wrong aim point for that bullet! Once he had a wounded elk, all common sense and plans "went out the window"……it turned into a "genuine Mongolian CF" !

I'm glad I wasn't there to witness the fiasco! memtb
That's exactly what I do not want to happen. Introducing multiple bullets and DOPE cards can introduce problems. But I'm planning to practice and dummy-proof this as much as possible to negate the possibility.

It's still 250gr of punch...

A shallow, surface wound is only a …..shallow, surface wound!

Not a significant problem on deer sized game, on a large big game animal…..perhaps a crippled, suffering, lost big animal! ☹️ Been there, done that, and don't like the tee shirt!

I took a close range shot, with a 300 grain (different caliber) fragile bullet (Ididn't know it at the time). The bullet was "supposedly" for use on "dangerous" game…..it "WAS NOT"! I took a shot at lower velocity than you, at about 60 or 70 yards …..a shot that should have been easily done with a less fragile bullet! I needed to penetrate about 2 1/2 feet of animal to get to the vitals…..it didn't happen! 🤬

I've taken the same shot several times since…..with far different results! memtb

Last edited:
Different strokes for different folks. I had a small anxiety attack just thinking about carrying two different bullets on the same hunt. I like trying different loads and developing different loads, but not on the same hunt. Conceptually it makes sense, but I usually don't have time and the clarity of thought to make these decisions in my style of hunting.

I used to shoot p-dogs back in the day with a 264wm. Using Sierra 100 and 140's I would tweak the load so poi would be the same. I would check trajectory charts to keep them as close as possible for out to 600 yards. Using a duplex reticle and not changing/adjusting for different distances. It worked well, so it's possible to have 2 loads with 2 different weights and have the same poi within reason. Run trajectory test and figure out where and what you want. I just used the chart in the back of the manual to start with for references.