HELP! Custom rifle build, what cartridge???

I have a 338 RUM that I need to continue to play with. Before i put a brake on it i got a decently shooting load with 250gr accubonds. Now with the brake i will continue to play with it and fine tune it now that it's not so **** punishing.

I'm really leaning towards the 7SS for this build.

what's the preferred barrel length for the 7SS?

A light .340Bee would be awesome. The 340 is a spectacular and under rated performer. Easy to shoot in a light braked gun. Even now you can find components. Great Norma brass. Good powder versatility and bullet selection too for that matter. A fair amount of 'Cool' factor with a touch of history and class. From 160 to 300+ grains there is a bullet for goats to grizzlies.

I want a somewhat light rifle built, 6ish lbs.

I am tired of lugging around my 9-1/2 pound 7mmRM in the mountains. Hence the 6ish pound wish.
I know a short action will be lighter, but I'm not building this to count ounces,
I know you said you don't want to count ounces but I would offer that you should. 6 pound rifles don't usually happen by accident. Every single component (action, barrel, stock, bottom metal, brake if used) will need to be accounted for to reach your goal. You could easily end up with a rifle that weighs way more than your goal if you don't count ounces. I only say this so you don't end up with another 9 1/2 pound rifle that you don't want to lug around.

I know you said you don't want to count ounces but I would offer that you should. 6 pound rifles don't usually happen by accident. Every single component (action, barrel, stock, bottom metal, brake if used) will need to be accounted for to reach your goal. You could easily end up with a rifle that weighs way more than your goal if you don't count ounces. I only say this so you don't end up with another 9 1/2 pound rifle that you don't want to lug around.
Very true. The builder I'm going to use (High Tech Customs in Co Springs) builds some really lightweight rigs, and that is one of the first things he asks when designing your rifle...what's the goal weight?... So if it ends up 6.5 lbs, no big deal to me if it isn't 6lbs on the nose. If it's going to be 8lbs, then I will have to change some things up.
There's always the Cooper backcountry 92...but I'd rather go get built exactly what I want.

I want to find a good balance between shootable and light, and also of superior quality, which is why I want to have a rifle built. If weight was the only goal i'd keep the 5lb, 4oz kimber i have in 280ai. It's going to cause me a little bit of pain to sell that one... But my money tree dried up.

Very true. The builder I'm going to use (High Tech Customs in Co Springs) builds some really lightweight rigs, and that is one of the first things he asks when designing your rifle...what's the goal weight?... So if it ends up 6.5 lbs, no big deal to me if it isn't 6lbs on the nose. If it's going to be 8lbs, then I will have to change some things up.
There's always the Cooper backcountry 92...but I'd rather go get built exactly what I want.

I want to find a good balance between shootable and light, and also of superior quality, which is why I want to have a rifle built. If weight was the only goal i'd keep the 5lb, 4oz kimber i have in 280ai. It's going to cause me a little bit of pain to sell that one... But my money tree dried up.
I thought you were sourcing the components for your build. If you already have a smith that puts together some lightweight rifles, then that's the "easy button" for sure! As long as that build is what you want. That's the whole point of a custom!

I thought you were sourcing the components for your build. If you already have a smith that puts together some lightweight rifles, then that's the "easy button" for sure! As long as that build is what you want. That's the whole point of a custom!
absolutely! Richie builds some really nice rifles that i've been drooling over for 5 years. Deciding on a cartridge is the hard part.

I think the 7SS is going to be it. When i found the sherman cartridge family a few months ago I was really intrigued, so I think I should just go for it.

Thank you all for the input!

I'm getting a 7saum this upcoming week and whenever straight jacket armory gets to mine, a 7 sherman max. Lol.

that sounds like a sweet setup you're going to build. i have a 6.5 creedmoor already and want something a little bigger for elk.
Are you talking bigger in caliber or looking for more powder behind the 6.5? That's one reason I'm keeping my 300 win mag for the thought of elk hunting even though I've been seeing guys take elk with a 6.5

Sounds to me like a 300 WSM would fit the bill perfectly- lighter short action, accurate with different powders and bullets, reasonable recoil, some brass and bullets still available at least in some areas, powder and primer challenges same as any other cartridge you'd choose - and Tikka makes a nice one that should shoot well out of the box as you mentioned. Wouldn't argue against a 7 SAUM as an alternative however components may present more its challenge from what I see left on the shelves up here. Good luck with your choice.
I'm turning 40 this year, and I want a custom rifle built. I already have the builder picked.

To get this I will have to sell 2 rifles, and take my wife's gift to me to get the custom.

I will sell a Kimber Hunter .280ai that I recently picked up (5lbs, 4oz).

I will sell a Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight .300wby that i recently picked up as well (6lbs, 14oz).

I want a somewhat light rifle built, 6ish lbs. I will likely put a NF SHV 3-10 on it, maybe a 4-16 huskemaw.

This will be an all around hunting rifle, but really I need a mountain rifle. I bought the Kimber recently because I am tired of lugging around my 9-1/2 pound 7mmRM in the mountains. Hence the 6ish pound wish.

I have a 7mmRM, and a 338RUM, both remington 700s, both shooters....both pretty heavy. For the smaller critters i have a 6.5creed tikka.

This will be my deer/elk mountain rifle. 7mm or .30 cal.

Initially I am thinking something that starts with a 3. Something light will replace the kimber, and a .30mag of some sort to replace the weatherby.

But which??? 300win, 300wby, 300 prc, 30nosler, wsm, saum, etc. etc...

I handload so once i get components (one day maybe they'll be available again) I'll be set, no need for a lot of factory ammo.

I know a short action will be lighter, but I'm not building this to count ounces, I just want a generally lightweight gun, I do not have a specific ounce number in mind. I've also considered another 7RM since I already have components, but with a faster barrel so I can shoot the 178gr absolute hammers or other longer, heavier bullets that my current 9.25" barrel can't. My current 7RM is a **** dbm from the factory so further customizing it is really a pain.

With the cost of customs I really will only have 1. Anyone else been through this struggle? Part of me says keep what I have and get another factory rifle like a tikka 300win and have a new faster barrel put on it for a lot less money than a full custom. The other part says' i've been dreaming about a really nice rifle for a long time and i should just do it....
any ideas? I'm struggling here :)
I ordered a Kimber Open Range pro carbon in 6.5CM to replace my old custom made 257 AI. I was very satisfied both with the caliber accuracy and the rifle coming from an Italian smart gunmaker, but now I'm fed up of brass fire forming, shoulder bump and the like. So, for my hunting in the Alps ( chamois and roe deers) I decided to buy the Kimber despite the 3 months delivery time, because I was impressed by the carbon barrel, the low weight, by the 6.5 CM ballistics, and the reputation of the company.
I think the right? Is there anyone who both a Kimber with the same set up able to provide me any opinion/information/suggestion about my rifle choice?
🙏🙏

Are you talking bigger in caliber or looking for more powder behind the 6.5? That's one reason I'm keeping my 300 win mag for the thought of elk hunting even though I've been seeing guys take elk with a 6.5
i was talking bigger in caliber. for me a 7mm will be my minimum for elk, and if i ever do a rifle elk hunt i may end up taking the 338rum

In a light rifle I would go with a 7. The higher bc bullets will be heavier in a 30 cal making recoil more of an issue. Of course a brake can change that but I hate brakes.

I'm getting a 7saum this upcoming week and whenever straight jacket armory gets to mine, a 7 sherman max. Lol.
I was leaning to the 7SS, i forgot about the 7MAX, dangit... I want to talk to Steve at Hammer and Rich (I think) for Sherman and see what they say about the 2 with the 172gr absolute hammer bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.