Hello I am new to this forum but not to firearms.

Southernfryedyankee

Id like to say hello to everyone. I am on a few other forums under the same name. I do have some questions.

I am rebuilding my savage LA that was chambered in 7mm rem mag. I have been considering a caliber change and definitly a barrel change. I have 2 barrel makers that offer Savage drop ins that seem to be pretty popular, they are Shilen and McGowen. I was wondering if anyone can help me make a responsible descision on the barrel.

Also I shoot my 7mag VERY WELL and can handle the recoil just fine but is there maybe a better cartridge for me? I contemplated the 300 WSM even though I have a LA I was going to get a single shot follower to prevent feed problems by just loading them singly. I am still leaning torward just rebuilding the 7 but would like to know my other options from actulal long range shooters. I primarily hunt deer but would love the opportunity to hunt larger game in the future. Plus all around watermelon bustin from far away would be great to for practice.

Split the diffrence and go with a .300 Win mag. It has more case capacity than the .300 WSM as since you have the long action, that would make more sense. And you'd still have a repeater. There really is nothing a .300 WSM can do better than a .300 Win Mag in all practicality, especially in a long action.

If you want another 7mm Mag, get a faster twist bbl so you can shoot the heavier bullets with the Higher B.C. They fly better and hit harder at longer distances.

I'm not Familiar with McGowen bbls, But I have shot Shilens before and I have a Shilen that's going to be a 6.5-06 AI really soon. So I say Shilen. Just make sure you have at least a 26" bbl.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.