New to Forum

ouzts

Hello guys,

As you can see I am new to the site and there are some awesome rigs on here. I recently shot a friend Barrett .50 BMG (What a blast!!!) and now I want my own Long range gun. I am HOOKED!!!! I know 800 yds is a chip shot for the BMG but for two people who have never shot more than about 200yds we did good considering we ranged the target mathmatically instead of a range finder. Now I know nothing about gunsmithing so I would be purchasing a complete rig. I am looking for something that can reach out to 1500yds, relatively cheap to reload (I have reloaded before but don't know much about the wildcat loads and making them) and of course be a tack driver. Can someone provide some sites to visit and some recommendations on calibers to look at? I like the .338 and the 6.5mm but between the Edge, Mystic and Lupau (for the .338) I don't know what all that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

What's your budget for rifle, plus optics, plus range finder?

Is it for target only? Or, for hunting as well?

BINGO! answer those questions and the answers will come.

Sierra's reloading video is a great starter to how you will want to reload. G. David Tubb breaks down all of the tools and why you need them.

You've got lots of questions to answer before you settle on anything. But for the sake of this response, lets assume you want to be able to kill deer at 1500+ yards. This means you will want a big magnum. I would put the 300RUM (remington ultra magnum) at the bottom end of the spectrum, then you get to the 338s. The 338Edge (300RUM necked-up to 338) is popular on this site. Next step up is the 338-408Cheytac (408Cheytac cartridge, necked-down to 338) it will kill deer well past a mile (1800+).

If you want to have an intelligent conversation about appropriate cartridges and the skills and hardware it takes to shoot at 1500+ contact Kevin Cram. He is an excellent gunsmith and a sponsor of this website. You can see his personal 338-408 here:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/mcr-338-408-chey-tac-re-build-61368/

The rifle was used to take a deer at around 1600 yards this year.

Another example of his work are my 260...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

For more examples of his work, do a search for threads started by 'Kevin Cram' and you will find pics of lots of his work.

I would also encourage you to call him. You can find his contact info here:

www.montourcountyrifles.com

JMHO, but if a guy was just starting out on the LR shooting AND reloading scene, I'd recommend a 308 or 260, and shoot them often. No sense putting the cart before the horse so to speak, and in the meantime, a good 308 is a great and easy round to take new knowledge and apply it, cheap and as often as you like.

Last edited:
Start with a 308. I know it's a peashooter compared with a lot of our guns but you have to get the basics down. Then, after a lot of practice, and, when you're ready to dump a bunch of money on a big gun, you'll be well-versed on what you want and how you want it.
A .308 is the gate-way drug to a great sport.

I am in agreement with LRickle. I have been in the 5.56mm game for about 10 years and neglected long range stuff. I can take a 5.56mm/.223 out to 400 yrds comfortably and regularly. Going longer - I recently picked up a .308, ammo is reasonable, data is plenty and I need trigger time.

Wind is the problem for me. Especially where I live, 5000 ft and windy! It might not bother that 50bmg, but it is a little expensive and heavy to lug around. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.