Hearing Protection in Field

Basic foam ear plugs for me. KISS. I've tried game ears and they make things weird. Tried the ones around my neck, but they always get hung up on my clothes or down in my coat. Usually when I sit, I put the left one in and if it's a quick shot I'm at least covered for the worst side, but I don't usually get or take quick shots. all my rifles are braked and all my handguns are big revolvers and all my vehicles and tractors and equipment are loud so I always have ear plugs. They just become a habit

Walker's makes an electronic ear plug that works good rechargeable battery that uses the standard cell phone charger. Has a cord that connects ear pieces with volume control that you can run under your chin or behind your neck. Does pickup up wind noise. Was about $75.

Suppressor. You only get one set of ears. Spend the money. It's worth it
After 20 years shooting w/o protection I have to wear hearing aids from permanent damage. Sound Gear best solution for me now for all my shooting. Just part of routine when putting hunt clothes on in morning. They go in easy and stay and improve my hearing as well as protect from muzzle blast. Can't be fussing around when on game. I am in full stealth mode just like all of you..put your ears on once and be done!

I'm not an audiologist nor am I a medical expert. But I have read several studies by same that you can find online that proves with our limited technology that ear plugs of any type are not sufficient protection. Expect your head bones to transmit enough sound past plugs to render a 5 dB reduction. That's not enough. If you are serious about hearing protection you will move to a suppressor-friendly state or wear muffs. Good ones: 30+ dB rating. Combining plugs and muffs can help, but thats a lot of headgear to manage.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have a suppressor but the rifle I built is not suppressor friendly, as it is wearing a 26" barrel. It does have an Area 419 break and could thread the suppressor on fairly quick but man that makes the rifle long. ...Decisions

I use the little orange foam plugs on a blue plastic string. I cut the string at the midway point, thread it through a hole on each side of my hat, and tie the string back together at the back of the hat. The plugs are dangling right by my ears, and are easy to install in seconds.

I personally carry two forms of hearing protection while I hunt these days. the "squishies" and battery operated ear muffs. I am not sure where I got them but I went to see about getting another set just in case and was told these were military issue only.. I about fell over from shock.
the squishies are bright colors and are great for really cold places since I have a knit cap on over my ears and can wear them all day. the muffs are close at hand and can be on in less than 10 seconds.
If I am able to use both in tandem it's great for me, I have muzzle brakes on most of my hunting rifles.
The blue muffs in my icon are my range gear. the OD green ones I use for hunting are much different design.

I use the little orange foam plugs on a blue plastic string. I cut the string at the midway point, thread it through a hole on each side of my hat, and tie the string back together at the back of the hat. The plugs are dangling right by my ears, and are easy to install in seconds.

Now that is an idea I haven't thought of.

From what I've read, most suppressors (for centerfire rifle rounds like a .223 or .308, and most definitely for 'magnums') aren't always 'hearing safe' i.e. below 140 dB. Definitely a step in the right direction, but you probably really should be wearing some sort of hearing protection even with a can on the muzzle.

I wear hearing aids now because of hearing loss associated with firearms. I've been using Howard Leight electronic head phones for awhile. 2 benefits; sound protection and I can hear things very far off.

Even using suppressors while hunting I use them. Turn the volume all the way and you'd be surprised what you can hear far off. I use them during the entire hunt; don't want to forget to put them on during the excitement. I hunt in the east, lots of leaves and branches. I've heard the crunch of leaves way off, looked and saw a deer moving slow off over 100 yds away.

Any earmuff will work that is electronic; its a personal choice on which brand. There is one added benefit I forgot, keeps my ears warm too!

I wear Peltor Tactical Sport electronic muffs all day, very comfortable especially if you spend $40 on Pilot's Gell cups. Amazon has them $109-119. Hunting you can hear way better with amplification turned up than you can without them on and safe to shoot with. Been wearing them for years and I shoot a lot besides hunting

Looking for suggestions on hearing protection to use on a backpack hunt. What do you use and why did you choose it? Do you wear it all day long or keep close by and easy to grab? Thanks

Like many on this thread, I've damaged my hearing shooting. I have no problem at the range but it is a pain in the a** to remember to put in your hearing protection at the moment that perfect opportunity presents itself in the field.

I have suppressed all my rifles and don't carry hearing protection any more. The rifle still makes noise but it isn't much more than a 22 LR. The suppressors are getting lighter and my accuracy is just as good as with a muzzle break. Unfortunately, it is an expensive solution.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.