Hearing Protection in Field

I use the baffled ones with a string. I wear them around my neck all day during the hunt, and go with the premise that I'll have time to stuff them in my ear. I carry my rifle in my pack and am not geared up for "off hand" shots.

I used to use those then switched to the sound gear. They are Awsome.
I wear them all day while hunting. Wish I would have found them years ago I hate to think the damage I've acquired before I had them. Simply by forgetting to put my plugs in or muffs on in the heat of the moment. I still use muffs at the range.
Side note the sound gear work great for live venues like monster jam. I can hear much better but not overly loud.
I do have sound gear and have used it from Wyoming to Africa. love them

I use the Otto Noizebarriers. Batteries easily last all day hunting and the little case will top them off a keep them going for more days than I have ever needed. (Never used them more than 3 days in a row without charging but also never saw less than 50% case charge remaining either) Wind noise is not an issue on normal sound amplification unless it is blowing hard (i.e., 15+). I use them for upland and big game and wear all day. At the range, I will wear additional hearing protection over them for my bigger magnums or if there are other shooters near-by. They certainly aren't the cheapest option but they work great in my opinion. I did buy some skull screw foam inserts to use with them and have never had a problem with them loosing up or working their way back out.

Howerd
Looking for suggestions on hearing protection to use on a backpack hunt. What do you use and why did you choose it? Do you wear it all day long or keep close by and easy to grab? Thanks
Howard Leight. Light weight easy to throw around the neck till ready to use. Never go on a hunt without them.

I use the thin profile electronic Howard Leigh and they work great. The wind noise is not bad. Somehow they have filtered it out fairly well. They also keep my ears warm in the winter. I can actually hear better while using them than when I rely on my own hearing. Just part of getting old I guess.

For the WI deer season I may sit for 80 hours in a week. The HLs keep your ears warm and you can here way better then with a warm stocking cap on. Plus I put a small runners radio in my pocket and they have a headphone jack so I can listen to the Packers and Badgers football games. I will say that the spring tension on your head on day five or six starts to be a little tight. I need to pick up a pair of the memory foam pads that are supposed to make them more comfortable.

You don't want or need the distraction of adding hearing protection once you have acquired a target. You need to be a 100% focused on the target and surroundings. I use an active hearing protection by Sound Gear. I just place in ear and get on with my day. My of my hunting is spot and stock or still hunting. I need to be able to hear what is going on around me. The active hearing protection enables/enhances this. I use for all my hunting but find it critical for birds (geese, ducks, grouse) because there is a lot of shooting with the shotgun.

I use peltor ear plugs on my guns that aren't suppressed. The are little plugs on a cord that just hang around your neck. 3 pack at Walmart for $6 don't get in way and cheap. See target, push them in and ready to go.

I've been using Sound gear for probably 10 years. Comfortable, enhanced hearing and then noise cancelling. Police agencies use them. Order that model.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.