Having a Terrible Time Deciding on a 6.5 Cartridge...

I think the 6.5 WSM is the cartridge best suited to a 26 inch barrel for 800 yards. In a target situation, energy is not as big of a problem, and the 6.5 -284 would be adequate. I own two 6.5 WSMs and a 6.5-284 and have worn out three barrels in the process. I like the Model 70 action with the WSMs because the 3.15 magazine length is adequate for the long range bullets without deep seating and they feed well. I have A-bolts and 5 Remington 700s in different action lengths. My second choice (you will have to be the one to carry it) for 800yards would be a 26 Nosler with a 28 inch barrel. You will want to double up on hearing protection with it. Keep me posted, I have a lot of experience with the bullets and powders with 6.5s. Try VV N-570 and Reloader 26, both are double base and provide a lot more zoom than the Hodgdon offerings.

"double up on hearing protection" just curious as to why it would be louder than the others?

You don't mention how far you plan to shoot. If you want the fastest and baddest 6.5 you mentioned, it is the Sherman. My Sherman can drive a 140 Berger to 3339 fps out of a 28" Hart barrel. Now with that said I also really enjoy shooting my 6.5X47 Lapua. If shots on deer are planned out to 1000 yds then I'd go with the Sherman. If deer sized game then the 6.5X47 to 500-700 yds would be really nice. The 130 Berger out of a X47 at 3000 fps is no slouch. On a side note for a X47, 260 or a creedmore a long action would not be needed. You really can't go wrong. Just pick which ever one you like the best. With the Sherman there is also a fair amount of case prep.

+1 on the 6.5 Sherman. It's the best 6.5 you can build. Contact elkacholic (Rich Sherman) for dies and a reamer, and possibly even pre-formed brass, if you're not familiar with the fire-forming (wildcat) process.

Hi all, I'm hoping for some insight from people that have gone through my situation... I'm building a new 6.5 caliber rifle for white tail and mule deer. My "Hunting Rifles" are a 22-250 and a future 300 Norma. I feel a 6.5 cal at ~3000fps would finish off all of my hunting needs. Have used my 6.5 Grendel, 270, and 308 before, but they're not very fun to lug around the swamps or woods.

I have a Savage LA stagger feed blind mag action (Used to be .270) to build off of. Barrel will be a 26".

I have 6.5-06 Hornady dies and 25-06 brass. Thinking this was the cartridge for me. Then I stumbled upon a 6.5x284 Forster benchrest die set for a steal, so bought that and some Lapua brass. Then I was looking at the sharper shoulder angles of the 6.5 Sherman and 6.5-06AI....

My concerns are:

-Feeding issues with the 6.5x284 due to the wider case, and potentially not reaching that 3000fps mark.
-Mag length issues with the 6.5 Sherman (my mag length is 3.4")
-Feeding issues with the 6.5-06AI due to the 40degree shoulder (I have not had an AI cartridge before)
-6.5-06 kind of lacks that hotrod feel I like.

Any advice?

Thank you

You shouldn't have any feeding issues when done properly by a competent gunsmith.

Another for your consideration, 6.5x280/improved.

I run a 6.5x55 BJAI. I'm running a 30" barrel and can get to 3000fps with a 142gr easy using H4831HC.

I like it better for its longer neck. It is just slightly less capacity than a 6.5x284.

Of your initial suggestions, 6.5-06 Ackley will feed easy in a 270 action. I run 40 degree shoulders from 17 to 338 caliber. Several on Savage actions. It will work great.

Kirby is a 6.5-06 Ackley advocate. He set his up to take virgin 25-06 brass, prime, add powder, seat boat tail 6.5 bullet as the neck expander, and enjoy sob moa accuracy fire form loads.

Trying to get your velocity target with a 26" barrel in a 270 based action. I'd use an -06 based case. Ackley or Sherman will serve you well.

FYI, changing a Savage bolt head is the same as changing an AR-15 bolt head. Only takes a few minutes. Changing from 270 to 7mag mag box is easy too. Parts are readily available.

So a 6.5SAUM/WSM or 264 Win Mag is very easy to get to from a 270Win in a Savage action. If it were to be a dedicated hunting rifle a 6.5 Win Mag sounds fun.

That being said 6.5x284 or 6.5-06AI would meet your requirements just fine with no changes to the action.

260AI is a nice option also can get to around 2950fps in a long action...

Build a 6.5-06 they rock.

My load R.E.M. 25-06 necked up, full worked and weighted.
140 Berger hyb
Vit n 165
CCi br 2

3025 fps, single digit es

For you hunters holds 5 shot in mag
I have had it over 3200 just left it there averaged 4 inches or some times smaller at a 1000y
Killed a coyote 1 shot at 1225y, mule deer 800 1 shot, 7 hogs, 2 whitetail, all one shot kills.

Good luck

You already have 6.5-284 dies and brass. Not a ton of difference between anything mentioned and a 284 based rig.
I ran several 284 based LA Savages and could really seat them where I wanted.
The brass is great and in the end, that's really the most important factor. BRASS.
Crappy brass=LR nightmare. Great brass that's easy to find=LR dream.
The velocity diffs aren't enough to really matter, the real secret to a 6.5 is the bullets available.
Every 6.5 over Grendel size is an 800 yd deer gun, no 6.5 is really an ELR gun so the extra velocity is in many ways a waste.

6.5 x 55 on modern long action is hard to beat
143 gr @ 2950 fps works well, and easy to shoot/load/find brass for

There's something nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede, it has around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong.

I have a Carl Gustaf carbine (18" barrel) that I started my sons hunting with.

There's something nostalgic about the 6.5x55 Swede, it has around longer than our venerable .30-06 and still going strong.

I have a Carl Gustaf carbine (18" barrel) that I started my sons hunting with.

Even if I don't share the enthusiasm (fashion) concerning the 6,5 for hunting larger / large game I agree with you. The 6,5x55 SE has proven it's worth regarding both long range shooting and hunting. A pile of components and readily loaded ammo makes it the almost ideal choice. Personally, I would go for the 6,5 x 63 Messner Mag, but that's a completely European story due to components.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.