Have a question for absolute hammer loaders

Bigeclipse

I am a long time loader but first time absolute hammer loader. I worked up a load for a 6.5cm using 123 absolute hammers and varget. I saw some information stating to you a faster powder than normal or look at powders used in one weight class lower bullet weights. Anyways, I worked loads all the way up to 42grains with absolutely ZERO signs of pressure. No stiff bolt lift, no ejector marks, and not even a hint of a flattening primer. This was initially done over the summer on a hot day as an fyi. This is 4 grains over book max and brings me to about 95% case fill so I stopped as I was hitting speeds I was happy with ~3000fps out of a 21inch barrel. One thing I did notice is a lot more recoil. I mean it felt like a stout 308 load. Does this make sense? I have shot 10 rounds at this and again, zero signs of pressure.

First off, if you've maxed out on capacity and still haven't found pressure, go to a faster burn rate powder and start over😄.
You want to find pressure on your rifle, then drop back a full grain and shoot for groups. Pressure should be at 85-90% fill rate.
That's why Absolutes are for those used to fooling with wildcats where there is no printed guidance. You have to learn as you go.
I assume you've looked at the Absolute load data posted on this Forum, under Reloading. There's a bunch of guidance provided by Hammer users. It'll save you a bunch of time and components.
When done, don't be surprised if you are well over published data for cup and core lead bullets.

So you're at the big gap in Hodgdon powders - H4895 to Varget. There are four or five burn rates of Accurate that are notionally "between" Varget and the next faster Extreme powder if you want to try those, but there is also Leverevolution and BL-C(2) you can try still. Being ball powders they'll pack in better and maybe give you more speed before you pressure out.

If the load shoots, leave it alone IMO. But if you're chasing velocity get a spherical powder to try.

So you're at the big gap in Hodgdon powders - H4895 to Varget. There are four or five burn rates of Accurate that are notionally "between" Varget and the next faster Extreme powder if you want to try those, but there is also Leverevolution and BL-C(2) you can try still. Being ball powders they'll pack in better and maybe give you more speed before you pressure out.

If the load shoots, leave it alone IMO. But if you're chasing velocity get a spherical powder to try.
I am happy with the speeds. It was more the question on recoil. Does it make sense the recoil is so stout? Just want to make sure I'm on the safe side. Again, zero indications of pressure as far as I can tell.

I would say you are a OK. I load that bullet and powder in several. Just using Hornady once fired cause it's everywhere. I'm at your charge weight in every rifle I load it for. I had 3 to do and it's safe in all of them. So I can do one large batch for them all. My brother just finished his this week and he also ended up north of both mine and yours. I'd say anything above 3k is money. Yes the recoil may seem faster as you are getting more speed and more likely a sharper recoil from the faster powder. Pressure will show just like normal when you find it.

If you have it you may find some more speed in rl15. I load mine with that because target was not around when I did mine. I'm just over 3100fps in a 22" but I may be leaning on it more cause it's my personal rig only I use. Eventually I'd like to try both bather and rl15 to see which I can get more out of.

What you describe sounds pretty typical for Hammer load development. Use the Hammer info available to here and on the Hammertime forum website. I have personally found that in most cases, I use the spherical version of whatever burn rate powdernis available in the Hammer load development. Since.it is a 6.5 CM and it's a 135 gr. bullet, which is average for that cartridge, Staball 6.5 should be a good choice also for that cartridge. One thing you may want to consider, if you are going to change up.anything would be to drop.down to the 110 grain, or it's plastic tipped equivalent (forgot the weight). These are like lightening in velocity and on game. Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Bigeclipse, you are right at the same 123gr Absolute/Varget load that I'm using in my 20in Christensen. In my shorter barrel I get just under 2900 fps day in and day out and have never shown any recoil or other sign of being unsafe. When the current batch of loads is expended, I'll mess around with other powders that may offer higher speed, but they'll have a steep hill to climb to offer better consistency.

My happy spot has been 1 to 2 grains under max with several calibers and rifles with the absolute bullets. Sta bil has been the powder I've settled on for case capacities from the 6.5 CM to 280 AI. On the average 200 FPS more than other bullets of the same weight loaded to the max.