Has the fad been forgotten?

What carbon ring?

Supporting 18 juniors, this is one tool we use for routine maintenance. No need to disassemble upper, I made a delrin guide for the extended shaft with a T handle and a coupler to attach to the CRR. Go in through the back of the upper with a little cutting oil on the front end give it a couple of spins till the CRR bottoms out on the chamber shoulder.

CRR was made from carbide, HSS will not survive long cutting carbon built up. Read the note at the bottom of the picture. It describes what section is sharpened.

20200827_155659.jpg

What carbon ring?

Supporting 18 juniors, this is one tool we use for routine maintenance. No need to disassemble upper, I made a delrin guide for the extended shaft with a T handle and a coupler to attach to the CRR. Go in through the back of the upper with a little cutting oil on the front end give it a couple of spins till the CRR bottoms out on the chamber shoulder.

CRR was made from carbide, HSS will not survive long cutting carbon built up. Read the note at the bottom of the picture. It describes what section is sharpened.

View attachment 389888
Who knew???

I refuse to buy a borescope. I have had no issues for fifty years without one. My OCD would have me selling every gun after 80 shots down the tube!
Just read an article the other day of a competition shooter doing a test and he has fired over 3500 rounds from a rifle without cleaning, and still holding accuracy.
Ignorance is bliss they say.

Heck, us guys over-analyze EVERYTING! Point-in-fact: I am betting this goes at least 14 pages, lol.
Ever read some guy's reloading procedures? I would die of old age before getting sufficient ammo loaded using their processes!
Would quit shooting if I had to follow some of their procedures.
Many professional shooters (ex:EC) follow pretty simple reloading procedures, use good equipment and achieve great success.
We sometimes overthink things... and over react IMO.

What carbon ring?

View attachment 389888
That's too many numbers to digest at lunch.

I like gagets and because bore scopes are good I will be compelled to buy one. In addtion to checking out rifle bores I can peer into brass cases & look for incipient head separations. Should any other commmon house hold item fail that cannot be easily checked out from the exterior my bore scope might enable me to see what's happening.

Carbon is black & nasty and it is blamed for causing rock hard deposits in rifle bores and also is blamed for causing horrible climate change when it bonds with oxygen. The carbon problem has created an urgent need to clean rifle bores and to have cool summers; many industries can be started up to reap $ benefits thus helping shooters & polar bears.

Until last year I had never heard of a carbon ring
Once I got on this forum I found out all about them and how everyone needs a borescope. After a little thought I realized that I've been shooting for 40+ years and never had a issue so why make it one.
I'm with manitou and life's way too short to make a non problem a problem.