Cabelas has been sold

I buy a lot at my local cabelas. Usually because they have it when I want it. I guess I can say the same about gander mountain. They are about 1/2 mile a part. When I need bullets or a scope or whatever. Usually one of them will have it when I need it where the LGS's here have trouble getting a steady stream of supplies.

Read on another forum that Cabelas was dropping their small tractor line, effective immediately. They are rebadged TYM's btw. TYM is Korean.

Carrying The tractor line was one of the most stupid decisions they have made.

I thought so as well. I always wondered who the idiot was in Sidney that came up with that idea.

In my own view I think Cabelas has lost sight of their original mission, to be a retailer of quality outdoor related items.

Seems to me at least, it's all about profit now.

Whether they are up for sale or not, I think at some point Cabelas will be gone, just too may players now.

Look at LL bean. was there before Cabelas and will be there after, always offering quality merchandise.

I thought so as well. I always wondered who the idiot was in Sidney that came up with that idea.

In my own view I think Cabelas has lost sight of their original mission, to be a retailer of quality outdoor related items.

Probably the same *** hat that brought in the Chinese 4 whlrs. that no one can get parts for.

I would agree that they lost sight of their original mission as well as purchasing all the high priced land to put up their brick and mortar buildings that never have the sale price on the millions of flyers they send out every couple of weeks.

They do seem to spend an extraordinary amount on landfill fodder, way more than any other retailer around me (I have all of the major players within 20 miles of me.)

I don't even look at them anymore because I know the prices are not competitive.

I will say in their defense that both my wife and I have found some fantastic prices in the Bargain Cave but thats buyer beware.

Last week I was looking for a 600 fill down vest and the wife suggeted looking at Cabels. Nothing out on the floor but in the Cave I found a nice (discontinued) 600 fil down vest in with a nylon shell. I grabbed it up after looking it over to make sure it wasn't damaged or dirty and my size...marked down to 75 bucks from 180 (it didn'r have the word 'Cabelas' splashed all over it, amazed about that.

The other thing about Cabelas that baffles me is why they keep building stores within 100 miles of each other. The only thing I see that do is draw customers away from the already built locations... It ain't Walgreens afterall.

There were/are a couple asshats that make stupid decisions.
A public company is all about the investors. Its a balance act but ultimately investors money rules the roost and thats when the core values were forgotten.
No doubt at some point it will be sold. Willing to bet the stock price will fall again soon and thats when the frenzy will start.

Me, I'd never buy a quad or side by side there. We are withing shooting distance of 2 major metropolitan areas with numerous factory authorized dealers of every brand. I'd go to a deal before I went to Cabelas for anything motorized.

Chances are, if it needs warranty work, you'll be going to an authorized dealer anyway.... and you are right on about the 'bait and switch pricing but I must say, if you are adamant at the cashier, most times they will mark it down but it is bullshitte and I think it's against fair consumer practice law.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.