Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

I know there are trillions already out there. Most of us oldies have owned and hunted, even defended our Flag with them,

As most of you know, I'm shopping HARD for a beautifully stocked rifle. I found a brand new one but in 30-06. definitely NOT my first choice but its hard to rag on the good Ole 06.

Comfort me with my choice, any new loadings re; powder/bullet combo's.
I built an 06 last year and love it. Gave my last one to my nephew but decided I needed one so I custom built one. Best all around gun for North America.

I've always liked nickel also but has always been from factory ammo I've shot. Never have bought or actually seen for sale that I recall. I have some 7mm Rem mag and 300 Rum in nickel but just shoot brass. I'm wondering what happens to nickel cases when you anneal or even if you can. Just now popped into my head. I've always liked the corrosion resistance and smooth feeding of nickel. Looks nice too.

They definitely do feed smoother. I have never annealed it, never had the need for it.

Midway has some Starline nickel plated for the 7mm-08, Natchez has some Winchester for the 280 Rem.

Mostly I've been buying the ammo, shoot and hunt with it then reload the brass. On my wife's 7mm-08 she is using the Winchester that comes with the 140gr CT Ballistic Silvertip, it groups really well. I reload it with the 120gr Ballistic Tips, my avatar is the group with this load on her rifle using IMR-4064.

I gave my son in law my 30-06 this year for Christmas. Got him all excited, took him to the range to zero it. Then he went back home and left it here.

I tease him and told him times got tough during COVID so I had to pawn it...

Can't go wrong with a 30-06.

My only 30-06 is a 700 Remington BDL. Yes I think it's a classic. It was made in 1980. Walnut stock, the good factory blue, shoots Rem coreloct 165 grain factory ammo 1.0 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Put a Leupold 4x12 on it. Will pass it on when I am through with it. Always dependable

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already but Field and Stream recently did a bracket tournament for the best all around cartridge. 30-06 won with 300 wm and 308 coming in 2nd and 3rd. In my opinion those 3 will be be popular until the end of time.

Well, I own an 06 but I dont shoot it a lot like I used to. It's a Sendero. It beats .308 hands down with anything over 175 grains and usually shoots the old 220 round nose pretty well. .308 can't touch the heavies in a 06. New powders/bullets have breathed new life into all rifles, the 06 is no exception. There's not much in North America that can't be taken with it. When the panic buys happen the shelves are clean of Creedmoor but there's usually several boxes of 06. You can always find brass it seems. Or you can use its offspring to form cases. If i had a one rifle choice it would be 06. I used to load a lot of 130 grain for hogs. And I've burned through a ton of 165s for everything. They talk a lot of how the 6.5s hit harder farther...on paper. I can't believe the numbers when you hear the difference on steel between a 140gr 6.5 and a 175gr 06 at 1000yds. Na, I think the 06 was a winner in 1906 and will remain a winner for a long time.

Last edited:
30/06 will do it. 1953 year of production a 721-B the only one I have ever seen. killed everything I have ever pointed at. one shot.. It really is too nice to go to the woods, but on a good day cold below freezing or a clear day I will take her out. whitetail 165 speer at 2850 will do the trick.

Attachments

• 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 115
I have an Remington model 721 I have carried sense 1962. It was made in 1953 and has always shoot to point of aim. I have been working on a new load of H380 powder and Sierra 168 gr HPBT #2200 53.2 grains. At 53.7 got pressure signs and have backed off. I am not shooting bullet holes at 100 yards but 3/4 inch or less groups. The first 53,2 group shot at 2740 MV, this rifle has always shot well with a MV 0ver 2600. I will try the 53.2 loads again as soon as I feel safe going to a public range. I am in the High Risk health group population.

hey AR I used to use h-414 very close t0 380 but now I use Reloader22 and a lot of it and my pressure is lower and velocity almost 2900 with 165 -- It is a very good powder from Sweden- I think i get loads from hornady manual or a Nosler book. anyway it shoot real good. also did you notice the B grade has hand cut checkered stock... I can not believe that someone in Mississippi where I lived for 55 years could let this gun go to a pawn shop. I paid less the 300 for the thing and I love it.

Selected handloads really open up the optics behind the classic 06, Berger 190 grain and RL-26 @ 2850 fps vs the 6.5 CM with a Berger 140 trajectories are slightly better with the 06 out to 800 yards (about one inch) and velocities are very close out to this range. The energy of the 06 is 400 pounds higher @ 700 yards....something to consider. Recoil always comes into play but considering suppressors and muzzle brakes it s a mute point. Properly loaded the 06 is superior ballistically. Yes its highly subjective but to suggest the round is dead? Load it up right. The above load was worked up in a Remington 700 and a Winchester XPR both with 24" barrels.

I can't believe you just tarnished this thread by comparing the 30-06 to the 6.5CM.

Come on man!

30-06 is my go to, for most of my hunting, here in Eastern woods and swamps. Granted, it has a definite performance envelope. It is a bit much for varmints, a bit light for massive creatures. For a small segment of hunters, it really does kick too hard. For an even smaller percentage, it doesn't kick enough to satisfy the ego. Its practical range would be scoffed at by some. Within its envelope, though, it is still the most versatile hunting cartridge around. Seems to be a lot of people who agree.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.