Has the 30-06 died along with the .308 ???

The 30-06, 308, 270, and others will be with us for a very long time as they are all quite practical, and proven rounds. Plus they have the added advantage of having such a long history, that they have become old school cool. Rather like owning a 57 Chevy hardtop. I am currently looking for an 30-06 for myself. Preferably a Model 70 Win. featherweight. While its been many years now, while in my teens I hunted with Remington 742 in 30-06 with a 2X Weaver scope in the old tip-off mounts. I was the envy of all my hunting buddies. They were in awe of the deer that I shot out past 200 yds., while all they could do with their 30-30's was throw lead at them. These rounds still sell very for a host of reasons, but the fact that about everybody knows someone who hunts with one, certainly helps. I still consider the 270 to be one of the best medium game rounds ever developed. Its still my go to caliber for about all my medium game hunting.

I think the 30-06 is dead to me. Clearly itll still get the job done, but other cartridges can do it with less recoil and/or better long range ballistics.

One of the main selling points of the 30-06 or 308 is versatility according to this thread. I would much rather have 2 or even 3 rifles that are really good at filling a specific need than 1 rifle that is adequate at all 3 needs. That's just me I guess. Ex, 270 Win for deer and 7mm RM for elk instead of the -06 for both.

Last edited:
Have a SAKO mdl 85 in 300 win mag. Probably my most favorite to shoot next to my 257 wby... for a "standard factory rifle" it's one of the most accurate rifles I own. It to loves the 180 accubonds and 180 ballistic tips... SAKO makes some mighty fine rifles..
I have two factory sakos and they are both excellent. The A7 rough tech pro in 30-06 has not shot a group over .75 MOS in dozens of groups. It is a very nice rifle. But it can't compete with my 300WIN AV. It's beautiful and it loves accubonds too.

my favorite rigleI own started out as a sako 75 finnlight 270wsm. I killed so many animals with that gun and 150 Sierra Gamekings. Sadly I burned the barrel after time. It is Now in a mcmillan stock with a Krieger barrel in 7wsm. It shoots 180 eldm well under half moa as far as I wanna take it.

Two years ago, I went to South Africa for a hunt. I took a "cheap gun," a Weatherby Vanguard II. It has some annoying characteristics of a cheap gun, but the .30-06 cartridge performed well on African plains game. My son also used .30-06. We found out that it is the most common rifle taken to South Africa, and Africans I talked to, use it. The most commonn rifle taken to Africa by Amercans is now the .300 Win Mag though. Of course, one goes to a bigger cartridge for dangerous game.

Ive got a pre 64 mod 70 winchester, its been my go to deer rifle for years, its hard to reinvent something that just plain works.

The .30-06 is a fine cartridge, but it is dead to me. Over the past few years I got out of .30 cals altogether. The .300 Win Mag was the first to go, then the .30-06, then the .308s. Honestly, I don't miss them. I have a .375 Ruger to anchor the high end, but most of my shooting is now done with 6.5 and 7 mm cartridges. Closest thing I have to a .30-06 is a .280 Ackley. To each their own, of course.

I currently own one 308/7.62X51 Nato, and one 30-06/7.62X61. the 30-06 was made in 1943. the 308 was made in the early 1990's. both are semi auto and have served in the hands of our soldiers. I love these two rifles and have made many people mad that I can shoot them as well as I do. these chamberings will be around as long as their versatility remains.

It all depends on the use. The -06 is most likely the most universal rifle ever made. It has terrific range and accuracy with enough knock down power for almost any North American game. Now if you want something slightly lighter the 270 or 6.5 are both good options. If you want something heavier, any 338 caliber is nice. I have a Weatherby Mark 5 Deluxe .340. Just make sure you get the brake. As for an adequate load; head over to https://load-data.nosler.com and you can find all kinds of load data for almost any cartridge.

Hey LVJ76 - does the nickel wear off when you run the case thru the sizing die?

Hi One Hole, they do a little around the 10th to 12th firing.

These are on their 7th firing, Federal Premium cases with some 139gr SST's and some 150gr Ballistic Tips

20200513_165525.jpg

I've used nickel plated brass on my 7mm-08's off and on for 30+ years now. Before that used them on 308 Win. Mostly Federal but also some Winchester.

For my 7mm Rem Mag I got some Federal Premium ammo with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter and will use these on reloads after that. I also have 100 cases from RP that I got a few years ago on a good deal.

I neck size only for all my rifles.

Rem 700 *** Edition that was won at a banquet years ago loves the Nosler 168 ABLR and is 0.5 MOA all day out to 300. Haven't shot beyond that since it is a hunting rifle for local conditions. The rifle is just a really nice shooting rifle, recoil is minimal with the 168 and it has performed very well on deer. I am working up a load with the Sierra 165 Gamechanger with RL26 that is looking really promising. The 30-06 is a caliber along with my 51 year old Savage 110 .270 is just fun to shoot. Sometimes we tend to forget, not every rifle has to be LRH capable to be fun to shoot and effective within their own ranges. When my son grabs the 06, he prefers 180BT's that also shoot extremely well. I have found that 06 and .270 to be about the easiest to develop an accurate load without burning a lot of powder and bullets to find one.

Hi One Hole, they do a little around the 10th to 12th firing.

These are on their 7th firing, Federal Premium cases with some 139gr SST's and some 150gr Ballistic Tips

View attachment 199301

I've used nickel plated brass on my 7mm-08's off and on for 30+ years now. Before that used them on 308 Win. Mostly Federal but also some Winchester.

For my 7mm Rem Mag I got some Federal Premium ammo with the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter and will use these on reloads after that. I also have 100 cases from RP that I got a few years ago on a good deal.

I neck size only for all my rifles.
I've always liked nickel also but has always been from factory ammo I've shot. Never have bought or actually seen for sale that I recall. I have some 7mm Rem mag and 300 Rum in nickel but just shoot brass. I'm wondering what happens to nickel cases when you anneal or even if you can. Just now popped into my head. I've always liked the corrosion resistance and smooth feeding of nickel. Looks nice too.

The problem with the 308 and 30-06 is they are boring. I have a couple of each and don't shoot them that often because they are boring cartridges.

Boring is good every once in a while though. My 26" bolt action 308 stacks 178s into tiny groups at 2775fps and kills thing like crazy. My bolt action 30-06 is 114 years old and has sights marked out to 2400 yards. Also have a semi auto in each. M1a and an M1 super boring rounds but they are pretty fun every once in a while.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.