Hard to believe

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
I might believe this is it was a 6.5 Creedmore. I understand they shoot flat up to 18 miles.

Wow, and I mean wow!
I use a 22-250AI for mid-range F-Class, that rifle can hit clay targets at 600 time after time in LITTLE WIND, but I wouldn't try it beyond this, especially not at 800+, it just doesn't have the steam and he's talking a 223!

Cheers.
The only people that stretch the facts more than prairie dog shooters is fishermen

I'm thinking two typos: he meant to say 85.0 yards with a 3.0 mph wind.
If I started to believe these "unbelievable" claims, I would not be happy when I pull off a cloverleaf at 100 yards.
Ranger Rick, did you work at a NP in Colorado a few years ago as a Park Ranger? If so I was with a bus tour group and met you. I was a Ranger also. If so, best regards!!! I also agree about this guys typos. Caneknife

Used to be the dumbest thing a guy could hear came from the overweight "expert" behind the gun counter. Now it's on the internet. They are Still overweight, still living in moms basement, but they can create an identity on the internet where they have accomplished something. It's like the nerds in the park, dressing up as mid-evil times, and having sword fights with foam rubber swords. Live Action Role Play they call it. LARP'ing for short.
They inhabit all the forums.

I was a member of Varmint Hunter for years and read many articles about shooting out that 850 yard and further with the 223. They had pictures of shots like that and I have to believe the stories were true. If I had the time I would go through a few of them just to post but I have shelves full of them, think I'm only missing a few of them because I was a life member, and not the time. Would love to sell the whole lot if anyone is interested.

I once shot a prairie dog at 1050 yards (best I could range it on that flat land) with my 7mmRemMag. PERFECT SHOT. blew the little guy in half.

The part that I like to leave out is that it took me 15 shots with a spotter to do it;)
Reminds me of Paul Harvey Quote "The Rest of the Story" I don't know how many will remember listening to Paul Harvey, he was a daily must for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.