Hard to believe

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
the Pinocchio effect!

I had a guy on Cal Gun claim his buddy consistantly shoots 1/4" groups with a 223AI doing 4300fps using 55grain Sierra bullets.

Huh?

Told him I can't even do that with 220AI.

Then he got childish with "well my buddy can out shoot you anyway of the week!"

Thought I was back in 2nd grade.

Just before blocking him I let him know his claim was BS and he was making a fool of himself.

There are shooters , then there are people that shoot!
Most don't know the difference.

I read on another forum that a long time user and shooter claims he is making consistent shots on prairie dogs at 850 yards with his AR 223 shooting 40 and 50 grain bullets ! He then said he is making these shots in 30 mph crosswinds !! I find this impossible to believe but I wanted to ask all of you if you have ever seen anyone perform this feat ? I did not call him out because I did not want to embarrass him for his canard , especially if it's not personal. My only thought was magic bullets !
The field must be absolutely THICK with dogs that you couldn't miss. But more than likely thats BS.

Depends on what he means by "consistent hits".
To be honest, an AR @ 850 is not a terrible platform and unbelievable. But that target size and bullet combo, along with the wind claims is where it gets into the fantastical realm. I have gone 90% on 12" steel @ 850 with my 24" AR Varminter pushing 69SMKs @ 3033fps, but never in the wind. Always on calm days. Throw an inconsistent breeze (3-5mph) in there, and my hit rates drop to 30%. Just way too much wind drift variation to be able to judge that.
3mph=27" drift
4mph=35" drift
5mph=45" drift
28mph=249" drift
29mph=258" drift
30mph=267" drift
A 1mph difference make an 10-11" difference in wind drift with a 69SMK @ 850yds.

My 50gr VMax load at 3300 is unreal.for wind drift. No way is it possible to make "consistent" hits on a 3" wide target at 850 in 28-30mph winds.
28=380" drift
29=393" drift
30=408" drift

I have never, EVER, seen a sustained consistent 30mph wind across a half mile flat field in the wild...
apparently the dude making this claim hasn't EVER studied ballistics charts.
No room for doubt in my mind. It can't be done, (as he tells it).

For years I taught long Range/Sniper classes at my range. I had some shooters who had accomplished amazing feats they proclaimed enroll in my classes. However, over the years those feats were unfortunately never duplicated at my range. Shooting marked distances with a crowd watching can be a very sobering experience for some shooters.

Not possible
Only the 6.5 needmoore can make shots like that we all know it
So if everyone says it's true
Then it must be true
😂😂😂

I had a guy on Cal Gun claim his buddy consistantly shoots 1/4" groups with a 223AI doing 4300fps using 55grain Sierra bullets.

Huh?

Told him I can't even do that with 220AI.

Then he got childish with "well my buddy can out shoot you anyway of the week!"

Thought I was back in 2nd grade.

Just before blocking him I let him know his claim was BS and he was making a fool of himself.

There are shooters , then there are people that shoot!
Most don't know the difference.
I am DEFINITELY a person who shoots... and unfortunately, I know the difference.😕

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.