Hang fire

Good evening, iam shooting a R-bros 28 nosler with peterson brass, berger 180vld bullets, 76 grains of rl 26 and cci250 primers. I keep getting hang fires in 1 out of 15 shots approximately. Has anybody had any primer problems with the cci250's?
Thanks
You say hangfires... are they all going off after a few seconds? That's a hangfire for sure. What do the spent primers look like? Do they look like they had a normal strike from the firing pin? Could it be that the primers were not seated all the way, and the firing pin drove them in the rest of the way?
Speaking just for myself and to answer your question about problems with CCI 250's... I personally have never had any CCI primer fail to go off. Nothing is perfect though and anything is possible, that's for sure.
If I were to have a hangfire, I think I would first suspect the powder (moisture, maybe?) then the seating of the primer and then the primer itself. In that order.
I know of instances where cases were wet tumbled and not completely dry when they were reloaded. Result? Hangfires...
BTW CCI cups ARE harder than Federals...😦
Best of luck,
Mike

I have experienced the same thing in a .338-378 with a large powder load. It also gets worse with colder temps. Mine would "hang fire" by maybe 1/4 second at 60 degrees, but would not fire at 10 degrees.

Went up to 215M's and haven't had any more problems.

Funny how many get wrapped around the axle on components and rifle issues...most problems start with not taking care of or the know how to keep firing control systems doing what they are designed to do...KISS Keep It Simple Stupid is a commonly forgotten issue...remember that when discovering an issue with your firearm...steel and mechanics unless broken don't generally fail...and primers and powder take some serious screw ups to make fail on a consistent basis...
Glad to help with this issue...Shoot straight and keep your powder dry 🎯
I agree about things being wrapped around the ax handle. As an example, customer bought a new Wincheser XPR in .308. Bought a box of ammo. Took it to the range and had 8 out of 20 misfire and decided there was a problem with the rifle. All of the primer hits were good, but no ignition. He wanted a new rifle, not going to happen since...sorry after purchase problems come under manufacturers warranty. Instead of a new rifle, or even sending it back to Winchester. Had him try another box of ammo. Hmmm...all 20 of 20 fired. Sent defective back to original manufacturer and they asked to have the supposed defective ammo returned and provided replacement box. Factory ammo is not always perfect, nor is hand loads dependent upon the degree of care made during it's manufacture. I guess the bottom line here is don't jump to unverified conclusions and blame the firearm when there might be a manufacturing defect on the ammo thrown in.

Good evening, iam shooting a R-bros 28 nosler with peterson brass, berger 180vld bullets, 76 grains of rl 26 and cci250 primers. I keep getting hang fires in 1 out of 15 shots approximately. Has anybody had any primer problems with the cci250's?
Thanks
Did not read the other answers but long and short, CCI250 is NOT enough primer. Go to a Fed215, no more hangfires click booms or failure to fires. There is a reason Federal developed this primer specifically at Roy Weatherby's request for the 378 and 460.
We have found this issue in many cartridges that use 80 grains or more of powder. In a lot of the failure to fires you will find clumped and partially burned powder that you have to break up to get out of the case. Proof positive there isn't enough Brissiance in your primer.

P.S. With the componenet shortage, if you can't find 215s right now, Winchester WRLM are also significantly hotter than CCI.

Last edited: