Hand guns?

Good grief... Time for bed? It's only 6pm and your time is my time....

Keep the frolicking for later on.... Besides, I don't quite understand the prune juice thing.

I agree with the previous posts about letting your daughter pick her own firearm. I would also try to discourage her from carrying in her purse if at all possible, just too many things can go wrong there, like her purse getting snatched. I carry either IWB at 4 o'clock or AIWB, my favorite and most comfortable carry position (esp. when sitting/driving). AIWB is also faster to draw from.

For carry guns, I go back and forth between a FS M&P 40 Pro series and M&P 9c. Both are ergonomically great, feed anything, and are accurate. The 9C is VERY popular as a carry gun right now.

Bill

My wife's first pick was a glock 19 9mm. The weight of the gun kept her from carrying it, so her second pick was a kel tec pf9 9mm. She carries that one with her everywhere. I can't convince her that a hand bag is not a good place to carry it though. At least she has it.
I go back and forth between an XD 40 subcompact and a ruger LCP .380.gun)

I never consider accuracy in thr equation concerning concealed carry. It's not about being accurate because the would be assailant is very close in 99% of any situation you might encounter.

I'm only concerned with firepower.

I want to only use one round, possibly 2 because there would be no time to second guess. Consequently, the only choice for me (and my wife) is our 45-410 derringers. Light, fits in your pocket with no holster or you can holster it if you desire. We typically chamber a 45 Colt in the upper bore and a No.8 shotshell in the lower. The 45 Colt is a tad bit below the 44 magnum in kinetic bullet energy so if the 45 Colt don't do it, there is the No.8 shot.

You aren't going to get multiple shots in most situations anyway. Why not have the firepower and the knockdown power in the first shot.

Makes no sense to me to carry anything else, not that I ever consider the use of deadly force in the first place. It's merely an option, however...

I have a number of handguns that I can carry, but the 2 shot derringer is my overall choice for convenience.

'An armed society is a polite society'........

Most ranges have rentals. Let her shoot a few and find one that feels comfortable. She should be able to hold it naturally with good trigger reach and it should point fairly well.

The Ruger SR line is dead reliable and easy to shoot. I've heard the same about the M&P line from Smith and Wesson. The M&P have a line with manual safetis and some that are DAO, with the DAO being less complicated to learn.

The 1911 has a steeper learning curve. It'll take some practice to learn how to operate it safely and quickly. Don't get an alloy frame without firing it. Certain mags can damage the frame when the feed lips bounce on the last couple shots so buy mags with the folded follower. The recoil is significantly less on steel frames.

The itty bitty guns like the LC9 are hard to shoot imo. There's just not enough room to put all your fingers and thumb without getting in the way of the trigger pull.

I'd invest a hundred or two in rentals to get a pistol that suits her well the first time. Buy a box or two of each caliber she's interested in, then start renting pistols in different sizes and makes that she might be interested in. If she's not proficient with weapon's it's a good time to teach her how and why.

I agree with you Sidecar, most deadly force encounters will be at fairly close range, but not all of them. Also need to consider the adrenaline factor. To me, having an inherently accurate firearm is important. Just my 2 cents...

I agree with you Sidecar, most deadly force encounters will be at fairly close range, but not all of them. Also need to consider the adrenaline factor. To me, having an inherently accurate firearm is important. Just my 2 cents...

............or a No8 shotshell. Accuracy isn't important.......:)

It's a big responsibility, carrying a firearm concealed in public or in this state carrying in plain sight. The law today as it stands intrepreted, will always cause you as a defender using deadly force against another, to put you in the position of prosecution. Don't ever forget that.

I only carry when necessary. Some folks like to carry all the time. I don't see the need for that. My primary objective in getting a CCW was to be able to transport handguns to and from matches without needless worry.

since i never know when the neighbors pit bull will feel the need to jump the fence and go after my 2 year old son, or some creep passing through town with no money at the gas station feels he needs mine, i find it necessary to carry all the time.
I woud hate for the one time i need it to be the time i left it home.gun)
"Always be prepaired"

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.