Hammer bullets

It almost lools like the deer was hit on the rib cage and came out on the shoulder on the same side, like if it was shot from behind and hit the side
No sir. It was a quartering shot. Entered just rear of the hart and exited center mass infront of the shoulder blade. Sleep up hill. No hard bone was hit.

They are indeed softer which helps for longer shots. I think it may have been a one off deal. That being said I've had even better luck with these than any mono made. My second choice would be cutting edge as I've got hundreds of kills on hogs deer and sheep with those. But man the hammers have really impressed me with the right balance of expansion at slow speeds and penetration.

Barnes are def harder and if pushed real hard, with pass through without much damage at all at closer range. The hammers are designed to shed the front portion and open a nice cavity and then punch through with the core, giving the exit your described. Sounds like it did it's job. Its hard to imagine how the front portion and exploded rib bone could cause that much damage, at your given MV and distance of the shot, but if I can get a pass through with a violent jelly mush inside and don't have to track a wounded animal I'll be pleased.

I have come to like to Hammers. This is the first year I have used them and have only harvested two deer. They load very easy, are very consistent and accurate. The downside is the BC we are used too with the other modern lead core. You can't compare lead and mono in my opinion. It's not a Ford / Chevy case. One deer was shot at just over 500 yards. Hit center mass just behind the shoulder. No real meat damage. Hit one rib and had a complete pass trough with 3 exit holes on the offside shoulder. Mush on the internals with one nice slice to th top of the heart. The second deer was just under 300 yards center mass facing head on. The insides were liquified. Heart looked like it was butterflied. I found the bullet in the groin area. I really like their performance. Will be loading more in other calibers as well. Oh and both were taken with a .270 Win with 117 HH's at 3190 fps. Very accurate load. I like them.

No sir. It was a quartering shot. Entered just rear of the hart and exited center mass infront of the shoulder blade. Sleep up hill. No hard bone was hit.

I believe you but it looks like that.

I'm thinking a couple of petals went through the shoulder and wreaked havoc on it. However, the bullet did its job, it sure killed the deer.

Now, I think we all eventually have some odd or weird or just can believe it thing happen with a bullet, I know I have, I think this was yours.

I believe you but it looks like that.

I'm thinking a couple of petals went through the shoulder and wreaked havoc on it. However, the bullet did its job, it sure killed the deer.

Now, I think we all eventually have some odd or weird or just can believe it thing happen with a bullet, I know I have, I think this was yours.
True I guess. Deer did walk about 60 yards before he piled up. Not sure how. His front end destroyed.

Can we assume this critter don't go anywhere after the shot? That's my goal, everytime, and I'm more than willing to give up some (or all!) of a shoulder to assure that's exactly what happens. Any bullet that will consistently anchor a critter where it stands (or folds it up like a taco if it's moving!) is a good bullet in my book! And is also why I hunt edible critters exclusively with Nosler Partitions.
Cheers,
crkckr

I think it looks like a combination of hydrostatic shock and some fragmentation.

I've had a similar experience, albeit with a 155 amax. Hit a couple ribs behind the shoulder. But the shoulder was bloodshot like this case.

I only have one Hammer kill and it was much different than what you experienced. Small Cali. buck up close, broadside hit behind the shoulder. I lost minimal meat but boy were the insides jellied. 110 HH 6.5 chronoed at 3400 fps at sea-level. If Steve can get DFW moving the bullet will be on the certified list before X zone opener.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.